Sunday, March 1, 2020

Design Fundamentals


Over the years when people ask for my level of education, I tend to forget that I actually have first year college Design Fundamentals. 

I suppose it is partly because at the time I failed to see that it had much relevance to my desire to be a weaver.  All the exercises were geared towards more traditional 'art' - painting, drawing, printing, and finally sculpture.

I kind of shoved that year of classes to one side and forgot about it, rarely mentioned that I had taken it, even as I remember the two year textile course I took, and even Eng. 101.  Somehow that year of taking English Literature - and even the one year of Creative Writing - seemed more - I don't know, real?  I certainly used those English classes in a very obvious way even though I barely passed the Creative Writing classes.  Any desire I had to write fiction after taking that class evaporated!  However, the exercises did serve to help me gain a facility with using words.  English 12 taught me to analyse for emotional trigger words and editorial bias, not just in prose, but advertising, print and media.  I was aware of using those skills on a much more frequent basis than I ever was the Design Fundamentals. 

Until I had been weaving for years and years and began realizing just how much of those classes I had actually absorbed - line, texture, proportions, colour theory, etc.

With reviewing the level four manual I find myself nodding about the lessons.  I find myself pulling samples out of my bins to illustrate some of the principles.  In fact I have samples that illustrate all of the principles being discussed in level four.  Only now am I seeing my work through the lens of the design fundamentals class I took, lo these many years ago.

I even kept my textbook.  Any time I went to downsize, I would come across the book, hold it in my hand, page through it, and put it back on the shelf. 

And now it will get packed for level four, certainly.  But I've also been bringing it to level two classes when I can - if my suitcase isn't too full, or the box being mailed isn't too heavy already.

Having even a rudimentary grasp of the principles of design will work its way into any creative person's work.  Even if they don't notice.  Even if they don't think it has.  Even if they think they didn't actually learn much at the time.

There it is - line, proportions, texture, colour theory.  All of it.  In my work.  Now that I know to look for it.

No comments: