Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Learning Curves



Life is full of Learning Curves.

The past week I've been trying to figure out Win 10 and how it has changed my 'usual' computer tools.  Like my printer/scanner.

My desktop shortcut for the printer disappeared, so I have to go searching through the Win 10 directory to find it when I want to scan something.  And then the menus are different for all sorts of things.

OTOH, it is said that learning new stuff is one way to protect the brain from fossilizing, so there's that?

The recent weaving workshops were mostly folk of, shall we say, middling years.  I was the oldest person in the room, I'm quite sure, but I still learn new stuff.

When I teach a class I learn something new about human behaviour, how things can go 'wrong' and then how to help students make them 'right'.

When I deal with a new computer it feels like I'm wallowing in 'not knowing things' and it's not comfortable.  It's frustrating, at times infuriating, as things that I used to be able to do with the push of a button or two now cannot be accomplished easily.  Files get put in places - somewhere.  I can't find them again.

But my old computer was acting very strangely, and it was time to tackle Win 10.  I don't feel like I'm winning.  Yet.  And some things just remain a mystery.  So far.

And yet.  And yet.  First world problems.

I have privilege that many people on this world do not.  I have white skin.  I don't have to worry about my problems being made worse because of the colour of my skin.  In fact, my skin colour actually helps me in this society, at this time.

Gradually I am learning how this benefits me.  Gradually I am learning how I can extend that to others.

On Twitter I retweet things from POC - and do not add a comment.  Because POC don't need me to explain what they are saying, they just need the platform to have their voices heard.

(Some might say I'm 'virtue signalling' with this.  Perhaps I am.  Perhaps I am just sharing a lesson I have learned.)

Human beings are all related, no matter their skin colour or where their ancestors have lived and died.  Over and over again science shows that we are all one family. 

Every significant religious/spiritual leader has said the same thing, just using slightly different words.   Be kind.  Help others.  If you can't help them, at least don't harm them.

Seems like this lesson is the hardest for human beings to learn.  And one I will continue to work on.

No comments: