Monday, August 31, 2020

And Here We Are



August 31.

We are now more than half way through 2020, heading into autumn, then winter.  Summer would appear to be over before it even began.  OTOH, we didn't have to live for weeks under a wildfire smoke plume, so that is something to grateful for.

Plans have been postponed or outright cancelled.  People have had to be creative in getting things done.  Parents are facing the reality of school and what that is going to mean in terms of the pandemic.  Worried about keeping their children safe.

While politicians are...politickting.

Our guild is working on how to provide services for guild members.  We are fortunate in having some great people who are creative and energetic, always looking for solutions.  Plans are being formulated and contacts being made.  If at all possible, we will be incorporating more on-line resources.  The guild room is being re-arranged, we may be downsizing some of the equipment to make it possible to have safe socially distant gatherings and a guild sale in the room.  The guild needs the income and some of our guild members make enough to sell items so that would be a win-win for everyone.  Including moi, with the never-ending tea towels, I'd love to sell some.

Covid numbers are increasing in our province, but we are still pretty isolated here with low covid cases.  However I am very aware that could change at any time.

I have been trying to think about next year, hoping that things will be improved enough that classes will be able to be offered, travel will be easier, all while being aware that it might be in my best interests to just stay safely at home.

OTOH, there are a few things I would like to do that will require travel, so...we will see.

Yesterday while fixing weft loops in the black on black tea towels (of course the loops happened in the black on black part of the cloth!) I found it very difficult to see to do the 'fine' work of repairing those loops.  Instead of dreading the cataract surgery, I'm now hoping it will happen sooner rather than later.  In the meantime I will pay more attention while weaving so the loops can be fixed in the loom.  It won't take any longer and will be easier to do than after the cloth comes off the loom.

Human beings are nothing if not adaptable.  I have a feeling that life as we knew it is going to change radically.  One benefit of so many people wearing masks is that the flu/cold season might be less severe and that alone is a good reason for wearing a mask.

Yesterday I didn't feel 'well' and did not weave at all.  However, I did get some other things done, things I had been procrastinating over.  To finally get those out of the way felt good.  Today I woke with higher levels of pain than I have been having recently, but a couple of pain killers has mostly taken the edge off and I am about to get dressed and go weave a towel.  My goal for today is two towels and press the seven towels I wet finished yesterday.  Seems I can manage three things in a day.  Seems I am adapting to 'retirement'...

2 comments:

Lynne Vander Linde said...

Laura, what an uplifting message. Sorry that you are in pain. As always whenever I hear about one of my previous guilds I feel nostalgic.

steel breeze said...

I had cataract surgery a few years ago (having implants put in both eyes) and the difference was marvellous - I had no idea how muted colours had become, so travelling back from London on a crisp autumn day was literally an eye-opener, the blues, the reds, oh my! On the downside, everyone, including myself, had more wrinkles than I'd realised. It had got to the point I couldn't read handwritten notes if they were in pencil (it had to be biro or ink), I couldn't read the newspapers on Sunday and I was always rubbing my eyes because they felt bleary. The op took around 15 minutes and was a lot less scarey than I thought! Best wishes and stay safe!