Thursday, August 6, 2020

Clarity



Yesterday I picked up my new eyeglasses.  Today I am enjoying the feeling of additional clarity in my sight.

Things are very confusing right now.  The media has evolved (devolved?) into sections - some of the media is trying to get good scientific information out to people, some seems to waffle back and forth, trying to be 'fair', airing 'both sides' (even when one side is based on nonsense) and one segment is publishing flat out lies.

Yes, I am a left leaning 'liberal'.  But I am also an educated person, capable of analytical thought, have an understanding of how science works.

I have not been confused by the development of the pandemic because I know that a scientific approach is to try something that seems reasonable, then adjust the current thought based on the results of initial recommendations.  I am also old enough to remember SARS and have read enough history to be aware of previous pandemics throughout history.

I do not need a media 'talking head' with no scientific credentials to tell me what to think about an event or the results of a scientific study.

I do not subscribe to conspiracy tales.

I am guilty of projecting my hope and optimism on others.  I now know that some others are so far down the deep hole of the alt right end of the spectrum that they believe the unscientific ramblings of pseudo 'experts'.

I will not listen to anything published by Breitbart or OANN.

I will not listen to anyone suggesting that a drug being touted by a certain someone with no scientific basis whatsoever has any foundation in reality.

I will not pay attention to a quack touting 'magic bullet' solutions.

And I will not allow my social media to be used to spread disinformation.

Edited to add link to CBC

2 comments:

Benoît said...

Well said Laura! :-)

steelwool said...

I like the glasses, also the mask. Stay well.