Thursday, August 18, 2022

Making Mistakes

 


It's easy to make mistakes.  (Ask me how I know...)

There is a quote floating around that I tend to use a lot, widely attributed to Geoffrey Chaucer but is actually Hippocrates.  Thing is, I keep forgetting that and recently I used it again crediting Chaucer.

I'm hoping that by doing this post and making a point of trying to remember the original, I will not forget again when I want to use it in the future.

So, thank you Hippocrates for perfectly summing up the progress of learning, not just about weaving but about pretty much everything!

As mentioned, I keep this 'diary' (of a sort) going in part because this is how I process what I'm going through.  It began when I was recovering from a medical issue (and my brothers sudden death), coming to grips with a body that was struggling and no one could figure it out.  It was a way to share my knowledge during a time when I didn't know if I would be able to continue to travel to teach, or if I would even be able to continue to weave.  

There are people who study such things and generally when a person has a major life altering health event, the average life expectancy after that medical event is about 7 years.  Well, I continue to plug onwards, piling more and more medical events on top of that triggering one that very nearly wiped me out like my brother had been.  (We had/have a genetic pre-disposition to coronary blockages - his was diagnosed on the autopsy table, while mine were discovered *before* I had my first - and last - heart attack.)

So I tend to use this platform to muse about life, and sometimes even death, the nature of living and learning and yes, making mistakes.

I've also become a lot more vocal about my political leanings.

Since my blog seems to be 'active' it is also the target for others to try to grab onto my coat tails and spread *their* messages.  Mostly I just monitor the comments section (Blogger makes this easy, thank you) and delete any comments that include a link to someone's business - if it's not something I support.

Yesterday someone wrote a really flattering comment, saying they and their spouse routinely read my blog and appreciated what I had to say.

Then appended not one, not two, but FOUR links for people to buy guns on line.

If I had stopped reading after the first sentence, ego sufficiently stroked, I might have not noticed the links, but I tend to read all the comments everyone leaves, even if I don't respond.

Which put the lie to the comment that they routinely read my blog and appreciate what I have to say, because if they actually did that, they would know that I do NOT support unfettered, unregulated gun sales.

Buttering me up with flattery?  Yeah, no.  Just saying...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I routinely read your blog and appreciate what i you have to say. No links attached

Anonymous said...

Did you mean to include the not-from-Chaucer quote? :) (I also routinely read your blog and am very grateful that you are still here writing it. <3)

Laura Fry said...

No, but it's the 'the life so short the craft so long to learn'. Hippocrates, not Chaucer. Hippocrates, not Chaucer. Hippocrates, not Chaucer... (maybe I'll remember from now on!)