Friday, December 14, 2012

My Happy Place


The same variegated yarn - the way it has been wound onto the cone makes it look very different, even though it is actually the same colour way.

Spent much of the afternoon on the proposed article for Handwoven.  I am working from a towel I designed last year sometime - February?  Anyway, I really like the stripe sequence so decided to render it in several different colourways.  Below are the towel from which I am working, the first two warps (wound in two sections each) and the yarn for warp #3.  I may do a fourth warp, I am not sure yet.


A while ago I experienced what is called 'burnout'.  I wound up in a depression that I could not shake myself out of no matter how hard I tried.  As part of my recovery process I worked through The Artist's Way.  One of the 'lessons' is to take a news fast - no tv, no newspapers, not even any radio, for at least a week.  I discovered that I was a much happier person when I wasn't confronted hourly with all the ills of the world.

From that time on I only listen to music in the studio.  I listen to the radio first thing in the morning, mostly to get the local weather forecast, skim the newspaper, mostly to read the comics, and ignore as much as possible the tv newscasts.

Some people might assume that I am uncaring about what is happening in the wide world outside of my studio and home.  Not so.  What I am is...pragmatic, I suppose you could say.  I know that there is nothing I can do to fix the tragedies that happen.  When I learn of a disaster I send a thought (a prayer some might call it) of positive energy to the survivors, take a moment to feel gratitude that I am not, currently, suffering some dire fate and then carry on with whatever I am doing.

I do not quake in fear of terrorists or anger at the unfairness of life.  I have learned that everyone at some time will wind up on the pointy end of the unfairness stick.  In the end life will go on.....or not.

And for those instances when I can do something - such as the loss of Judith Mackenzie's studio - I go ahead and do something.  Whenever possible I would much rather light a candle rather than curse the dark.

Currently reading Birds of a Feather by Jaqueline Winspear

2 comments:

Rhonda from Baddeck said...

This is EXACTLY how I feel! You said it so much more eloquently than I could have. If I think about all the negative stuff, I'll be a basket case! A friend posted this on Facebook today: "What can we do in the face of unspeakable tragedy? We can cultivate love in every single action we take ... right now." It's about the only way for me to stay sane.

Anonymous said...

Well said Laura, well said!