Thursday, December 30, 2021

Encouragement

 


When I was a kid, I wanted to be a writer.  I tried prose.  Poetry.  I was pretty bad at both.

But!  It seemed I did have a way with words, just not the way I expected.

Decades later, readers have read my words here, and elsewhere, to the point where I'm feeling encouraged I should maybe keep writing?  

Number 4 AND 5 on Handwoven's top 10 list of articles read in 2021.  Seems like encouragement to me.


Well, I hope you understood that the above was written tongue-in-cheek (sort of) because writing is something I do for myself as well as for others.  I very much doubt I'll stop writing any time soon.  I have zero plans to produce another book (in spite of that moth eaten manuscript I call a 'memoir' - do I really want to reveal that much about myself?  Maybe not.)

However, I expect this blog to continue until I run out of things to say, even if my message is pretty much consistent.  Sometimes you have to say the same thing in a different way before someone else begins to understand what you are conveying.

And sometimes I peel another layer off the onion of understanding.  Sometimes a problem crops up and I work out a way to fix it - or at least work my way under, over or around it.

But it was a nice ego stroke this morning after a not-so-great night and too little sleep.

However, the sun is currently shining.  The snow has stopped.  The temps have warmed up (some) and the loom is ready and waiting for me.

I just wanted to say thank you to those who have followed me here since 2008, bought my books, contacted me to say what I do helps, incorporated some of the techniques I use and have shown in DVDs and soon-to-come online class(es).

It's a lovely way to wrap up a year that hasn't been great while heading into a new year that looks to be equally challenging, if not more so.

Stay safe.  Stay well.  Stay weaving and learning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're number 1 as well as 4, and 5! Congratulations!

Laura Fry said...

Colour me flabbergasted! :D

Anonymous said...

Ihave been following you since 2008,am in Australia, and have learned so much from your writing,explantions of how you do things(what works for you) that has encouraged me and enabled me to continue to weave. I weave in isolation,as many of us do, so a big thank you for your continued writing.
I only have a 4 shaft table loom and in my 50's when I began this journey used to wish for an 8 shaft floor loom ...now having just turned 80,living in a small 1 bedroom retirement village,the loom must work in my bedroom because of space and I am so glad that wish didn't come true! Besides space, I would be physically unable to climb inside it to do anything!
Thank you for your encouragement and words of wisdom, may 2022 be one that lights every ones candle.
Barb R

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I have learned a lot. Your clear information/writing has changed how I work for the better.
My best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!
Stephanie Change

Juli S said...

I read your blog every day. Sometimes it is the kick in the pants I need to head out to the studio, sometimes it makes me smile, and sometimes it challenges me to work at a better way of doing something at the loom. It is always a positive spot in my morning. Thank you!