Friday, December 3, 2021

Pushing at Boundaries

 


In the continuing effort to use up my stash, I am having to really push my creative boundaries.

Rust, brown, orange - not my personal favourite colours!  But I own some because I used to weave for sale and needed to have textiles for every taste, not just my own.

So this warp.

30 ends per section (will be sleyed 32 ends per inch), 14 rust red, 10 dark green, 6 black.

It's interesting to me that the rust is predominating.  I had thought it would be more...I dunno...less rust and more mixed up, I guess.  But overall I'm quite happy with how the warp looks on the beam.

We'll see how happy I am when I start weaving.  Because again, I have colours that are not to my taste to use on this warp.  A pale kind of ashes of roses - not quite pink, but sort of.  The tag end of a rust slub rayon, which will look fine - I have no qualms on that one.  A pale sort of beige variegated which might look terrible.  Time will tell.  A very dark navy, which should look just fine.  I've done that combo before with these yarns and was pretty happy with the results.  Oh yeah, and a very dark chocolate brown which will weave up nicely as well.

The warp should yield 9 scarves, so not a lot, but enough that I'm hoping for more empty cones/tubes and ultimately more room on the shelves.  But I still have a lot of this rust red on the tubes so I will have to be creative about what I do with it.  

When I thought I would explore more after retirement, I hadn't considered just how much yarn I wanted - needed - to use up before I felt the weight of the stash leave my creative thought processes.  As it happens, I'm finding plenty to challenge me, just diving into my stash and trying to weave it up in ways that please me.  

Ultimately, I may do a very similar warp to this given I still have the rust red and forest green.  And lots of options for weft, too.  What I have right now is a whole lot of fine yarns.  And fine yarns give a LOT of play time for their purchase price.

Tomorrow will be spent at the guild room as we roll into weekend #4.  Attendance is beginning to drop off but the day is quite nice today as the forecast for snow appears to have changed for the weekend.  Perhaps people will be out and about and find their way to the guild room.

No comments: