Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Ides of March

 


Halfway through March.  It's been a long year already.

In many ways I am feeling a lot better than two months ago when I was told I had a severe case of shingles.  But I find myself still without energy or desire to do much of anything.  I expect the time zone change has contributed to that.  I'm not affected as badly as some, but it's always been a time of adjustment for me, this springing ahead, falling back business.  I had hoped that our province would stop doing it but covid and now world events are sucking up all the attention everyone has and minor things like time zone changes seem pretty petty to be annoyed over.

But spring seems to have arrived.  This morning Doug was woken by a woodpecker using the metal vent on our roof to announce his arrival.  Once they choose a signal spot they tend to come back each day at dawn and claim 'their' territory so Doug will try and dissuade the bird from using it.  We used to have one that would ring the metal hood of the street lamp, but the city replaced the old light with a new, smaller one.  Perhaps it's too small to use or it doesn't 'ring' nicely enough for him.

Yesterday I got the next warp beamed and started to thread it before I crashed and burned and needed a nap before dinner.  I keep reminding myself I'm officially 'old' and 'retired'.  No need to beat myself up if I don't accomplish what I set out to do.

It looks like enough yarn is left on the tubes to wind one more warp before there isn't enough to do another so I'll carry on.  I'm liking the next threading draft, which I cadged from Ars Textrina, adjusted to meet my needs.  Then I'll set the 2/16 cotton aside for a while after the next warp until I decide if I order more of the natural white.  I still have quite a lot of dyed 2/16 left, plus other yarns that need using up.  So, probably.

For me, life will continue as it has for the past two years.  As mask mandates are repealed, covid continues to float around so I'll be isolating even more than I had been when the mask and vax proof mandates were in force.  My goal is to NOT catch covid.  I've been sick enough with shingles, I don't need to prove to myself my immune system is badly under performing by catching covid.  So places I used to be able to go may now become more challenging if no one is wearing masks.

Fortunately I'm ok with being on my own and I do have lots of on line friends I can chat with.  So I will continue with my isolation from crowds and wearing a mask.  And hope that the optimists are correct and covid is over.  

Today's goal is to finish threading, sley and tie on the current warp.  Then choose weft and wind bobbins.  Who knows, maybe tonight I'll feel like starting in on that gigantic hemming pile.  Sixty plus towels are patiently waiting for me to deal with them.

No comments: