Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Now, More Than Ever

 


In many ways, hand weaving tea towels seems futile, like spitting into the wind, given the current events happening.

In many ways it feels like an act of subversion - doing something as meaningless in the grand scheme of things as hand weaving a tea towel when the whole world seems to be headed for hell in the proverbial handbasket.

But I have no power to change the course of history.  Zero effect on what is happening anywhere in the world.  The only power I have is to live my life, the best I can, however I can.

So yesterday I got to the loom and wove two more towels.  There are four of these turquoise towels and now I will change colours, to a mid-value greyed blue.  I think I have enough yarn for 4 of those.  If I run out I can either polish that tube off and finish the towel with a different dye lot.  Or toss what ever is left after weaving 3 blue towels into my 'recycle' bin.  Where I put tubes too empty to weave something, too much to toss.  And I give them to friends who might be able to use them.  They won't go to waste.

Today I have appointments.  In fact this week marks the beginning of my returning to 'normal' (whatever that means these days.)  I have appointments and zoom presentations throughout March and beyond.

I have contacted another speaker for the Sunday Seminars and have a couple others I will contact in the coming days to bring the series to a close in October.  Whether or not the series continues remains to be seen.

Registration for the Olds master weaving program opened today and I have plans to teach level one - IF there are enough people signed up and IF covid isn't in a 6th wave. 

I hope to get some physical issues 'fixed' (for whatever level of 'fixed' can be managed) over the next couple of months which will make weaving and teaching easier and less exhausting.

We have begun work on more content for Sweet Georgia's School of Sweet Georgia and if I go to Vancouver in April, I hope to meet with SOS to work out details of what will come next.

In the face of current events, now more than ever, I have to keep thinking about the future.  I have to keep planning, and working towards focusing on creativity and positivity.  There is enough 'bad' news in the world.  I have to sow my seeds in hopes that some will take root, and grow.  If we give up and don't sow seeds, then nothing will grow, right?  So cultivate hope.  Keep being creative.  Keep doing something to better the world, even if it is just one tea towel, one hand knitted sock, whatever brings comfort if not joy, during these oh, so interesting, times.


6 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

You’re right, there’s no point in sitting about, contemplating the state of the world.

Isabella said...

Your pattern is very beautiful !!! :)

Judi said...

Your pattern is stunning. Can you tell me the name? I feel the same in regards to the world right now. Weaving keeps the worries at bay.

Laura Fry said...

It doesn’t have a name as such. If you have weaving software I can email the draft.

Anonymous said...

Question - does your pattern use more than 8 shafts? I’m still a bit new - I can’t tell by looking at it. Other than it is lovely.

Laura Fry said...

Yes, 16 shafts.