Sunday, September 11, 2022

Begin Again

 


Weaving, like life, is an endless round of finishing things, then beginning again.

So it was today.

I wove the last two towels and cut the warp off the loom.  When I looked at how much warp was left, it was touch and go if I'd get another towel, so I decided to 'sacrifice' it.  As I stripped it from the loom, one of the sections was 'short' by one turn so there was no way I could have gotten one more towel.  Well, I might have squeaked one more out of the warp but I was in no mood to try.

So off it went!

By dinner time I'd cut/serged the 6 towels, fixed the two that had a broken end, collected *some* of the things for the sectional beaming class, then set up the tension box for the next warp.

This is the warp that is inspired by oil slicks on water - dark blue, purple and a mid-range blue, in 'rough' stripes.  Again I won't pay any mind to whether the yarns stay in their lane or not, which blurs the stripes and makes them look less rigid.

(My story, sticking to it.)

It took a while to get things set up but the spools were already in the spool rack - I'd done that while waiting for a Zoom meeting to start on Wed.

The threading draft is prepared, I'll print that out tonight.  Who knows, maybe I will be able to start threading once the warp is beamed.  It's been taking me about 3 or 3.5 hours (plus a break) to beam these warps once they are ready to go, so if I can get moving early enough there should be time to begin threading before the day is spent.

I've already decided on the warp to follow this one, and then I *may* do another red one and weave it off with red weft.  I'll see how Xmassy I'm feeling once I get to that point.

While my goal was to use up all my linen, I decided to leave the heavier single yarn and use it as weft on 2/8 cotton.  I think it will be a better match than this 2/20 merc. cotton.

Once this warp is up and weaving, I will be spending more time getting ready to head for Vancouver.  I still need something to wear for the taping (not happy with anything in my closet), plus I need to finalize the two warps that I will be demoing on for the two topics.  I'm going to need some time to think and plan.  With just 16 more sleeps before we leave, I need to shift my focus next week.  The warp will wait patiently for me until I get back.

1 comment:

Meg said...

LOLOL, I am not the only one who thinks oil slicks can be... beautiful! My mom used to have to pull me away from puddles on the road when I was little.