Monday, September 12, 2022

When Disaster Strikes

 



This is the current state of my studio.  If you read my post yesterday, you may be wondering why my spool rack is empty, and so is my warp beam.

You might remember I had some issues with the black and purple on one of my previous warps - and I speculated that the yarn, which had been stored in ordinary cardboard (acidic) boxes for far too many years, had most likely deteriorated.  The black being the worst was set aside to be used only for weft.

Well this morning I tried beaming the warp with the dark forest green, purple and blue, and immediately had broken threads all over the place.  I made an adjustment, thinking that would solve the problem, but nope.  Multiple broken ends in the forest green and purple in the second section as well.

Needless to say, those two sections got cut off and into the recycle bin.

Now I'm taking a break while I think through my options.  

There aren't enough tubes of any colour, or even combinations of pleasing (to me) colours and I'm stymied.  I had intended to do at least two more warps of this 2/20 mercerized cotton and...I'm stuck.

At this point I'm thinking about what I have in my stash, wondering if I have anything at all that could be used and coming up blank.

Obviously it is time to take a break, have lunch, let the situation simmer in the back of my mind for a while.

My other options are also limited.  I MAY have enough black 2/16 bamboo, but I'm not sure how well that will marry with 2/20 cotton in a towel.

I do have 2/8 cotton so I *could* put a warp of that into the loom and use that thicker singles 12 linen.

But this has kind of knocked me off my rails and I need time to think.

So I will.

1 comment:

Meg said...

And it just could trigger a fabulous warp, this "accident". Here's hoping.