Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Behind the Scenes

 


This is what you don't see on screen when I do a Zoom lecture.

My work table does multiple jobs, including the 'desk' where I sit to do the lecture.  As you can see there is a lot of light that comes in the windows, and I used to sit with the windows at my back, and then I would have to block them because they would overexpose everything behind me.  When I bought the new laptop, I decided to set up facing the windows instead.  Which means I don't have to fiddle around blocking the windows.

Since the table is more frequently used for other stuff, some of it lives there: the serger on the far right, and the small press which has been shoved to the far back left.  There are a bunch of small items behind the serger as well.

The loom's back beam has been temporarily used as somewhere to stack my woven samples as I finish with them, the small tv table to the right holds the other items I used in the course of the lecture.

There are more things to either side of the laptop, within reach, plus my drink.  Since I talk pretty much non-stop for 2 hours, I need to wet my whistle!

Doing these lectures means thinking through the important part of the topic, having examples handy, be able to demonstrate things (if appropriate) and not be fumbling around looking for stuff.  

Until someone asks a question you didn't prepare for and then I  hop off the stool and grab what I need to answer the question!

The other things in the picture are more to do with what I'm working on than the lecture - the bin of yarns lower right are what's left of the last warp.  While waiting for the meeting to start, I emptied the spool rack and put the yarns into the bin, then loaded the rack with the tubes for the next warp.

The shelving to the left is the yarn I'm currently working with plus some other stuff that needed a home for a while and that seemed the most convenient empty space when I needed some.  For example on the lowest shelf is a stack of 'seconds' that I may or may not finish, may or may not gift to someone in their current state, or wet finish and hem before I gift.  To be determined.  In the meantime they needed a place to live until I made up my mind.  The two other racks further to the left also store yarn and other items that I use - not frequently - but I still want handy just in case.  Or in the case of the yarn, remind myself I still need to use it up.

Now to clear all that clutter up.  I could still weave one towel today but I am running low on energy, so maybe it would just be 'better' if I took another day of rest (or afternoon of rest - the morning was kind of busy!) and started fresh in the morning.  

I do still have a library book that is due back in two days to finish.  Hmmm....

No comments: