Sunday, September 18, 2022

So Far, So Good

 


Today is day 5 since my covid 'contact' and even though the covid positive person and I were both masked, AND there was a HEPA filter between us, I am being very very careful.

I have worked hard for 2.5+ years to avoid being 'caught' by this virus and the last thing I wanted to do was have an encounter with someone positive for covid just days before we leave for Vancouver.

So this week has been stressful as I wondered if her mask had worked, if my mask had worked, if the room filter had worked and hopefully because all three were there and hopefully working, I would be 'safe'.

It was with a huge sense of relief that I saw the Control turn red and nothing else.

However, rapid tests are famous for false negatives, so I will test again tomorrow.

The thing is, this past week we were also under a cloud of wildfire smoke, and because I'm allergic to smoke, I was having sinus issues and a slightly sore throat.  So I just didn't know - had my luck run out?  Or was it, in fact, 'just' allergies.

Running on hope, I continued to weave, worked on my teaching aids for the class, and hoped so hard I could almost taste it.

People who are not immune compromised seem to have no idea, or if they do, very little concern, for people like me who would not have a 'mild' infection in spite of multiple vaccinations.  Because our immune system just don't work properly.

People who have had a life saving organ donated take immune suppressants so that their immune system doesn't attack the 'foreign' tissue in their bodies.  People with cancer generally have compromised immune systems because of the treatment they require to save their lives.  Personally my cancer is OF the immune system - half of it simply doesn't work.  People with inflammatory diseases have immune systems that don't work, either.  And the list goes on.

We live IN SPITE of our compromised immune system, but catching a virus like covid would be far more deadly for us than for someone with a healthy immune system.

And why it was so irritating (and still is) when covid minimizers whiff away the fact that someone died because 'they were sick anyway'.  As if we weren't living perfectly fine lives until we caught covid.

I am egotistical enough to think that I have worth through the knowledge I hold.   That the weaving community might be 'less' when I'm no longer in it.  And why I am working so hard on these classes for SOS - a repository of some of my knowledge.  

Maybe I'm deluded, but it sure would be nice if the people around me would wear a mask without complaining about how uncomfortable they are and help keep me from getting sick from an airborne virus.

4 comments:

Dawn Vaneyk said...

Dear Ms Fry
I am a beginner weaver, currently going through cancer treatment with neuropathy in my fingers, and great fatigue.
Thanks for your candour. You give me courage and hope that I will weave again, and maybe on a good day, get the shuttle flying again.
When you're going through hell....the quote is apt.
Just wanted to say, you bring me light, on these weariest of days.
Dawn

Laura Fry said...

I don't know if it will help for you, but I have found taking alpha-lipoic supplements really reduced my neuropathy.

Keep going, indeed...

Donna said...

So glad you are OK so far. I am immunocompromised on prednisone and Remicade infusion. People do not understand and it is so frustrating. I finally got it in June after my husband got it at a concert that had no precautions at all. Fortunately I had just received an Evusheld dose and took antiviral medications. I may not be so lucky next time.

Laura Fry said...

I'm glad you didn't get sick but it's exhausting, always being on guard, not know when your luck is going to run out. :(