Friday, March 24, 2023

Minimal Spoons

 


View a few days ago - the driveway is now clear and the snowbank a couple of feet away from the concrete, daintily showing the 'ankle' of green grass between it and the driveway.  Spring.  Such a tease!

This week has continued to be challenging and I have had few spoons to spend each day.  However, the loom maintenance seems to have gone well, although there is more to be done.  That one can wait a bit, though, while I test what we've done so far.

Spring appears to be arriving.  In this part of the country it can take a while.  The snowpack levels are dropping and snowbanks are receding from the middle of the roads closer to the curbs.  Mostly the sun has been shining more and that is always a welcome sight as the days grow longer.

Progress on everything slowed this week after a stressful time last week.  But I did get the warp cut off the loom, beaming the next one yesterday.  Threading has commenced and my goal for today is to finish threading, press the last of the towels that were wet finished on Wednesday, and if there is time/energy left, perhaps even sley the reed.

Editing has slowed down as I face the challenge of a major re-write of two of them.  One more essay did get written this week, which put the count over 30, with at least one more in the wings.  That will likely have to wait until I get home as it will be a long one with lots of visuals to illustrate the development of the current series I've been working on for the past couple of months or so.  Don't know if there will be much interest in what I've been doing, but sometimes I find it useful to see how others approach an exploration of a new-to-them weave structure.  And it's all very fresh and current, so...

We have begun packing for the 'rush' trip to Vancouver where we will spend 4 days in the van for about 36 hours in Vancouver.  Hopefully with less pain/pain killer brain fog afterwards.  For a while.  And with more daily spoons.  For a while.  In the meantime we have no idea what the drive down and back will be like.  Anything goes, this time of year, including blizzards.  

In April I've signed up for a spinning workshop so when I get home the spinning will come out and I'll practice some.  It's been at least 4 years since I've touched the spinning fibre stash.  That needs to be used up too, so it's time to get better at it?  I even have a couple of bins of blending board whatsits made.  Not quite rolags, not quite punis.  If there isn't an accepted term, maybe there should be?  If I were more of a spinner, I might know.  

Anyway, since my goal is stash reduction, I need to add spinning into my nightly routine, so I've put the jigsaw puzzles away, just as I acquired a bunch of new ones.  They can make next winter more pleasant, perhaps?

No comments: