Friday, December 8, 2023

Never Ending Stash

 


Got this draft threaded yesterday, then noticed what looked like 'mistakes' in the cloth when I wove the header.

Came back and looked at the draft again, and nope, I didn't make a mistake.  It's part of the nature of the weave structure, given the half tones and the changes in the twill lines and how the light strikes the cloth, emphasizing the warp in one direction and the weft in the other.  And it looks...odd.

It is one of the reasons I've been captivated by this weave structure and keep finding new ways to play with the lines.  Even something very simple takes on a complexity when in cloth form.  I'm looking forward to seeing this after wet finishing.

However, thinking I was very close to finishing off the 2/16 yarn, I started 'celebrating' too soon, because a deep dive into the hidden recesses of my yarn storage revealed...yet more yarn.  Some of the cones I will need to do a burn test.  They are from a friend's stash (she bequeathed her yarn to me when she died) and there are no labels to identify the fibre content.  Plus I remembered I had some mill cones tucked away and 'found' them.  Each cone is about several pounds - not sure now, how many.  And I have 5 of those.  I will have to think about what colour I will buy next for tea towels to weave those cones of yarn as weft.  Good thing I'm not bored with tea towels????

Since each warp takes about 3 weeks (when I'm feeling well) to weave off, well, it looks like I'll be making tea towels for a long time to come.

OTOH, I got an email from someone this afternoon thanking me for the generous size of my towels, how nice they feel, and how happy she is with the towels she chose from my ko-fi shop.  :)

I'm anxious to finish this warp because I have a new colour to play with once it's done.  And I'm sure some nice bright colours will be welcome as we travel the dark days of winter.  The solstice is coming soon, and our days are getting very short now.  I console myself with the reminder that as quickly as the sun goes 'away', it will come back.

And today I scored a couple more puzzles.  I got a $5 discount coupon from the local book shop, one that carries some puzzles, and went in to see what they had.  What I found was a huge selection of puzzles, like tables and tables of them!  I managed to curtail myself and only chose two (because I have some at home already) and when I got to the till, discovered that I had more discounts and came home with puzzles that were a lot cheaper than expected.  Happy Solstice/Merry Xmas to me.  :)  

No comments: