Saturday, December 23, 2023

Pressing Pause - Again

 


Bodies are not static.  They change, grow, get injured, heal.

Well, mostly they heal.

The older we get, the more wear and tear we inflict on ourselves, the more injuries pile up...the longer it takes *to* heal.

And sometimes we inadvertently injure ourselves in the pursuit of 'recovery'.

So it was this week.  I've been slowly trying to recover from the latest round of body hurts and one of my stretches, well, I overdid it and injured my knee.

Not a serious injury and one that will heal - eventually.  But it is a set back, not just physically, but mentally, as well.

Yesterday I didn't go to the loom at all, but today I think I can manage.  The injured knee is not doing the 'heavy' work of weaving, and right now I feel like I need to at least make an effort to do some physical activity.

I'm very close to being finished with this dark dark blue warp, and I'm really looking forward to the new colour combo and some of the new drafts I've fiddled with.  And it would be really nice to tie up this year by finishing with the very dark colours which have been challenging to work with during the (so far) dreary winter we have been having.  Hard to see the very dark values at the best of times, but when the light is poor, even harder.

So with the returning of the sun (in the northern hemisphere) I would love to begin the new year with the new, brighter colours.

I tried using my phone to get a photo of the dark blue, but while it fared better than the ipad, it still doesn't do the dark values justice.  When I post the different designs to my ko-fi shop, try to picture the colours as being much darker.  Like this one:


It looks pretty in the photo, but the photo is deceiving because the towels are way darker in real life.  Imagine a very dark, nearly black navy blue (three different shades in the warp) and in this towel a mid-range blue for the weft.  These are currently listed in my ko-fi shop.  I still have several others that I despaired of ever getting a decent photo, but we have - for once! - a clear sky and sun.  So perhaps getting photos will be more successful.

Sending best wishes for the solstice and a better/brighter new year to everyone.


No comments: