Saturday, January 1, 2011

Endings and Beginnings


Stuff for JCC piling up....

The new year is beginning with a bang. So to speak.

Doug's oldest friend died Christmas morning which has meant a rather subdued holiday for us. The funeral is Monday and since I don't think Doug has really taken it all in yet, I suspect Monday is going to be a difficult day.

Tuesday I have a - shall we say - somewhat intrusive medical test (dignity? What dignity?)Wednesday a massage appointment to try and work some of the kinks out of my neck before I start sitting for hours in cramped quarters on various and sundry airplanes and a hair cut on Thursday so I look less like an English sheepdog for the trip.
Then 3 weeks away for a fairly intensive class at JCC, and two 3 day workshops in Florida.

The good news is that I've made a bit of a dent in my to-do list - the dye day went off fairly successfully, there are 2.75 warps left to weave, which I'm hoping I can still get done before the 7th - later than I'd hoped, but still. I've kind of fallen down on the skeining but there are about 20 skeins ready, with 40 for my usual day so half way there and may get a few more done yet.

I've posted the transcript for WeaveCast 55 to http://weavezine.com/ and it's quite fascinating (although I think pretty much all of the podcasts are fascinating) and I have broken the ice on The Project and hope to add a few more words to the file before I leave.

The yarns for my weaving at JCC are ready including one warp already wound ready to slam into the loom and several warps 'extra' which I can work on at Sharon's if I don't get them done at JCC. I'm hoping Doug will get the fringe twisters done so I can have one with me on the trip and work on fringe twisting so I don't have to bring them home to do - since I have 3 dozen scarves here (or hopefully will have) already. If nothing else I can work on them at my friend Jacqui's in between the two Florida workshops. She's a bobbin lace maker and understands about having handwork to do. :D

When I get home I'm hoping to have positive news on the health issue front. Looking at my calendar I have left a large window of opportunity in April/May for surgery, but if it can't be done then, a smaller window opens up in July/August. Since I'll also be seeing the orthopedic surgeon about getting the hardware removed from my ankle I'm hoping that I can get all of the sliceing and diceing done this year so that I don't have to think about it any more. With any luck, by the time they are done with me I'll be good for another 20 years. :)

So, no resolutions for me. Just some plans that are flexible and more of the same in terms of weaving. Except for The Project, which I'm still hoping to get done by summer.

Optimist that I am...........

Sending everyone best wishes for the new year. Hope everyone manages to find time for their fibre activities.

Currently reading Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong

1 comment:

Sharon Schulze said...

My prayers are with you and Doug, Laura. I wish you both peace.