Friday, May 18, 2012

Curiosity


this cloth is actually green but I washed it out so you can see the weave structure....


this is more the real colour....

I think that 'creativity' is sometimes just a combination of enough knowledge to understand how a craft works and incessant curiosity that impels one to keep asking 'what if' over and over again.

This warp started out partly as a response to the question - how can I minimize the dimensional loss when waffle weave hits the water during wet finishing?  And then I kept changing one more thing, and one more and one more.

I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with this cloth - really I won't know for sure until I get it wet finished.  But in the meantime I'm weaving - and I'm happy.

3 comments:

K u T o M i N e said...

Hei,
You have made beautiful fabric.
It is joy to read your blog, I stay for reader.

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

Ooo, I like it!!!
(holding thumb for success in wet finishing - or perhaps it could be mangled?)

cheers,
Kerstin
(my words are "nytre ivertyfr" - which could be a crative spelling for serious adventure in... maybe Icelandic?)

Laura Fry said...

I don't think I'll press/mangle this cloth (I don't actually mangle *everything*!) :^) OTOH, there is always 'sampling'.....

Waffle weave (honeycomb in the UK) has so much potential for doing interesting things.

Thanks Tarja - your tote bags looks interesting. :)

cheers,
Laura