Friday, February 19, 2021

Rolling into the Weekend

 


Bored with weaving the same thing over and over?  Change the colour of the weft.

There is more than likely enough weft in the dark hunter green to weave one more towel, but that would make an uneven number of towels.  That wouldn't be a deal breaker except then I would have an odd number of the other colours.  Again, not necessarily a deal breaker, but I kind of want to have 4 of the lighter green and two of the rose, so the left over tubes of the dark green will go into my little box of left over yarns that I use for things like headers and cut lines.  

While I have way too much in that box right now, I kind of hate to just throw it away, so I'll keep it until such time as I manage to use some of it up and/or into a deep cleaning mode.

Changing the value of the weft gives the cloth a completely different look.  It's nice to see some spring colours - a break from the darker value of the green that I've been trying to use.  That spot on the shelf is now empty!

While I've been picking away at these towels, I have also been developing more warps of the same quality of cloth.  For warp 2/8 cotton, for weft cotton flake with hems of 2/8 cotton.  I'm enjoying the fatter yarns because they are going away faster than the 2/16 cotton.

I will re-visit the 2/16 later because after I'd woven almost all of the fine linen I had, a friend gave me some tubes of linen she was trying to get moved on into someone else's stash.  Who can turn down really good quality fine linen?  Not me!


So I now have 3 warp combinations collected with a fourth that will use some of the blues in the bottom bin on the weaving bench.

There is also a place mat warp wound, which I may try to get into the small loom over the weekend when the laptop is 'cooking' the data for the Zoom meetings.  Two this weekend, one Saturday, one Sunday.  The following weekend?  Two again.  

Today we had sun and with the fresh snow, the day was quite literally brilliant.  It is only mid-February and winter may not be finished with us - yet.  But the days are getting noticeably longer, and spring doesn't feel quite so far away now.

No comments: