Monday, February 15, 2021

Saying Yes

 




When I became a weaver, it was because I said 'yes' to something that was so far fetched, so anachronistic, that any other person would have automatically said 'no'.

A handweaver?  In the 20th century?  Come on!  Seriously?  

But I said 'yes'.  

When I changed my life so dramatically, I had little inkling of where that simple acceptance of something the universe was nudging me towards would bring into my life.

Initially I thought I would production weave for 25 years, then teach for 25 years.  That would bring me to 75 - if I made it that far.  Family history indicated that I might not, genetics being what they are.  Plus that seemed like a long time away. 

Any yet, here I am, nearing that particular milestone.

In any event, I started teaching the same month as I began weaving class, so instead of 25/25, it has been nearly 50 years of doing both, juggling both.  They were actually complementary because one was seasonal, so the other could be as well.  I was in charge of booking teaching dates, so I booked during the weaving 'down' time.

Was I afraid?  Yes, actually I was.  Because I didn't know if I could do it.  I didn't know if I could earn enough money by doing it.  I didn't know if I had the skills.  

As I plunged in, I began to see where I was lacking in knowledge and set about filling those holes in my knowledge.

I had some background to build on.  I had determination.  I had stubbornness.  

I knew enough to be 'dangerous' as they say!  But I also was willing to admit I didn't know and ask for help.  It's quite amazing how helpful people can be when you go to them and say, can you help me understand this thing?

Sometimes I went to get professional help - ie taxes.  Teaching.  Marketing.  The local printer who did the print job on Magic.  Video production.  Yes, I could learn how to take/edit video, but I didn't want to.  I just wanted to get the information out there.  Having taken a video class, I knew enough to know that I just didn't want to spend my time learning how to do all that well, so I pitched the idea to Interweave Press and in the end they agreed to send a crew here so we could use my facilities, my tools.  Having taught a lot, developed lesson plans, knowing basically how video works I could prepare my materials, my space and a timeline for taping that was out of sequence in terms of the process but made better sense in terms of taping the processes.  More...efficient.  In the end we accomplished two DVDs in three days.  The camera person said he didn't actually think it could be done but I had done my preparation well.  I took that as a high complement.

Now here we are in a pandemic where everything has slowed and in many cases stopped altogether.  But!  We have the internet.  (I know, not all.)  We not only have the internet but a number of platforms that make doing on-line events a possibility.  While on-line can never replace in person, it is at least something.

So I said 'yes' and started exploring that aspect of continuing to teach.

As I re-do my teaching approach and materials, I find myself digging ever deeper into the craft.  I decided to not teach technique as much as the underlying principles.  Yesterday I said that a) I don't know everything and b) there are no definitive answers but that I would help understand the variables and then?   They would have to choose the appropriate way for them to go on.  

Because change one thing and everything can change.

I have also learned when to say 'no'.  I have learned where my boundaries are.  What I am willing to do, and what I am not.  I am, however, open to suggestion.  So as the Zoom meetings continue, I continue to learn how to make the on-line experience better - for myself, and hopefully for others.

Old dogs can learn new tricks.  It may just take us longer.

No comments: