Friday, February 5, 2021

This Time of Pause

 


nearly half way through

One year coming up.  Our province started addressing the reality of living in a pandemic almost one year ago.  Pause was pressed.  Businesses shuttered.  Schools shut down.  People were getting sick, too many dying.

Events were cancelled.  Classes were cancelled.  This time last year I was teaching a beginning weaving class.  There was enough interest that we did two and anticipation was that at least some of those people would join the guild, take up weaving.  Paused.

Instead the world was asked to stop.  Stop going out to socialize.  Stop meeting in person.  Stop hugging, laughing, singing, in person.

Some of us were able to pick up this new way more easily than others.  Personally I don't have children or grandchildren so didn't have that pull on me.  Neither do either of us have living parents.  We hunkered down.

My recovery from some physical ailments was also put on hold.  When the covid limitations began to be eased a little during the summer, I found a new massage therapist (previous one took the opportunity to officially retire during the initial closures) and set about working on my body again.

Through it all I was able to continue to weave - at a reduced pace.  I only try to get to the loom/studio for about two hours a day, with a longish break between the two hours.

But there is no need for me to be in 'production' mode.  Other than trying to use up my yarn stash, there has been little opportunity to sell anything, so my 'inventory' continues to grow.

I had planned to set up an on line shop, but then the USPS started to have issues, mail was being held up even before the Christmas rush happened.  So I didn't bother, in the end.  I may still go ahead with that, once the postal systems recover from the avalanche of mail from the holiday season.

In the autumn I began to embrace on line technology.  There was - and is - a learning curve and I'm still very much at the slippery end.  But again, making slow progress.

After weaving for over a year with 2/16 cotton as my warp, I'm now working on the 2/8 cotton.  It's thicker.  It gets used up more quickly.  Builds up higher on the beam.  Tubes empty faster.

Per my count there are 7 towels on the beam which is now built up an inch thick.  I'm not sure if I will get 18 towels off of this warp, but I don't mind too much.  However many I get, it's stash reduction.

Today I will weave two more towels, then cut the web off the loom, separate and serge the towels and get them into the washer/dryer so they can be pressed tomorrow.  Then I'll have hand hemming to do during the Sunday Seminar.  (Carol James talking about Sprang - still time to register before midnight tonight.)

Things continue to be cancelled now, in 2021, because the pandemic continues.  Yes, vaccines are beginning to roll out.  Numbers are still too high in terms of people being ill, dying.  (And yes, I know people who have lost family members - it's not a hoax.)

Recommendations to not travel continue.  Those who do are required to quarantine upon return, at their own expense, in a hotel.  The government is trying to prevent the growth of mutation variants that are being seen in other countries.  And clamp down hard on those that are already here.

While we do have vaccines arriving, there is still a need for people to not socialize.  Not gather in person.  Wear a mask when they go out.  None of the recommendations are 100% effective.  But used in concert, bring better protection than none.

In the meantime I am continuing to reach out, teach, as best I am able, on line.  Other people are also doing the same - Janet Dawson on Craftsy, Tien Chiu with her courses on using colour in weaving, Jane Stafford's on-line guild, Abby Franquemont, Daryl Lancaster and her daughter, amongst others.  Just because we can't meet in person, we can meet on line if people have the internet bandwidth.  It may not be perfect, but...

Stay home if you possibly can.  Wear a mask, over both nose AND mouth if you have to go out.  Maintain physical distance.

Stay safe.  Stay well.  Stay covid aware.

No comments: