Saturday, July 10, 2021

Begin Again

 



Even when you know quite a lot, you don't know everything.  Maybe I should add this to my list of 'Laura-isms'...

I'm doing some sampling, using a yarn I have worked with before, but am not particularly experienced with.  As such I followed a recommendation, even as I wondered if it would work, wound a warp, beamed it, threaded/sleyed/tied-on and started weaving.

My inner voice was correct.  It was not going to work.  Not even close.  I tried a few different things and finally just cut off what I'd woven, resleyed it to higher epi, (making two sleying errors in the process because my nice tidy bundles were gone and it was so much harder to keep track of the threads) tied on and started weaving again.

But now the warp was too narrow for purpose.  

The value of the yarn in the warp was maybe $10.  My time?  About 4 hours to that point.

But I had more yarn.  Lots, in fact.  And yes, it's a fairly price-y yarn, but the results were not sufficient to the purpose.  Rather than press on and use up that warp, I opted to cut it off and will wind a new one, wider than the previous one so that I can proceed with the higher epi and the end result will be appropriate to the purpose.

If there is one thing I have learned in my life - don't hang onto a mistake just because you have spent a long time making it.  Much better to take the knowledge and begin again based on the new found knowledge and get to a successful result because you are working from a place of increased information.

So that is my 'job' today - wind the new warp and get it into the loom.  If I can manage it, start weaving.  Maybe tomorrow after the Sunday Seminar I can weave the first 'sample' and finish the rest of the first sampling on Monday.  By then I should have the information for the rest of the samples.  But now we know what epi is going to work, and which one doesn't.

With the level of wildfire smoke outside I won't be going anywhere until I absolutely have to.

Last night we had a huge thunder storm bang and crash around us for hours.  The Purple Air site says our air quality this morning is poor and we've turned the air filter we bought a few months ago onto 'high'.  I may have to start using Benedryl, although I try to keep that for when things get 'bad'.  

In other areas of the province, more wildfires were sparked by rolling t-storms with at least one more town under evacuation as of bedtime last night.  Perhaps more.  I haven't paid much attention to the wildfire reports this morning.

We are beyond time to deal with climate change.  Some areas of the province are experiencing drought, almost all of the province is dealing with heat extremes, glaciers are melting which is causing flooding in some areas.  

Interesting times.  Interesting times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have found that a HEPA filter and a carbon filter in almost every room, in addition to the ones my husband has added to the vents going from room to room, helps immensely. The in-room filter(s) are a little odd looking, and a bit noisy, but they work. We put the carbon filter on the bottom, a fan (the size of the opening in the carbon filter) in the middle and a HEPA filter on the top. You can move it around from room to room, if necessary, or you can leave it in place and put more of them in other frequently-used rooms in the house. Air goes IN the HEPA filter, and the fan pushes it back OUT the carbon filter. Carbon filter should be a pretty thick one. Theoretically, HEPA takes most of the 'particles' out of the air, and the carbon filter takes out odors, neutralizes some sorts of other pollutants in the air, and I'm not sure about this, but it MAY help neutralize ozone in the room's air, too. Helps my breathing immensely.
StephanieW

Laura Fry said...

Thanks. We have had filters on the furnace for years, but that was for things like fibre dust. This one filters much smaller particulates out and helps with a number of airborn things. Doug researched it pretty thoroughly before he purchased. Our house is mostly open plan upstairs so the filter is centrally located in the part of the house we spend the most time and the central heating/cooling fans run 24/7 keeping airflow happening.

Peg Cherre said...

I’ve heard (read) you say it before, but I think it’s been a while and is so worth repeating: Don’t hang onto a mistake just because you spent a long time making it. I think this is so true in far more areas of one’s life than weaving. Take action. Out with the old if it’s not working.