Monday, July 5, 2021

Flexibility

 


I learned a long time ago that it did not serve me well to assume that my plans were written in stone.  Many times I have been in mid-stream with a project and had to pivot to change what I was doing.

So, while the spinning is a pivot, of sorts, it is all part and parcel of weaving down my stash.

I inherited a great deal of yarn when a friend died and I've had a bunch of fairly fine open end spun cotton, not sure what I could or should do with it.

Turns out is is the 'perfect' colour to use as weft on the current warp (spools still in the spool rack).

But plying 16/2 cotton takes time.  A *lot* of time.  Since we downsized my studio last year, I actually have a bit of room in the studio and with another reorganization,  I was able to set up one of my espinners to do the plying.  Just a bit of a scale - it takes about 45 minutes to half fill one bobbin on the espinner.  

So it is taking quite a long time to get enough of the yarn plied in order to weave with it.  In fact, I was thinking that I'd weave off what I've done - and can do tomorrow - and will need to stop and just ply yarn for several hours.

But today another project, one I agreed to tackle a few weeks ago and for which I received the  yarns last week came calling.  I should have the instructions for *that* project tomorrow - just about the time I cut off the first half of the current warp on the Megado and wet finish that.  Since it will take several days to get the 16/2 plied, pivoting to the Leclerc loom and that project will actually allow me to continue at the comfortable pace of half a bobbin a day without feeling restless and as though I've 'wasted' my time.

Since that project will be woven on the Leclerc, I can leave the espinner set up behind the Megado and work on it at my pace while still weaving on the other loom.  And by the time I finish the project on the Leclerc, all of the 16/2 should be plied and I can hop back on the Megado.  Unfortunately, there is so much of the 16/2 cotton that I will need to do another warp in the turquoise/green in order to use up as much of the 16/2/2 as possible.  (No that number is not a mistake - two 16/2 plied together is written as 16/2/2)

Flexibility.  

It's a good thing!

1 comment:

Jane Eisenstein said...

Happy birthday Laura. I'd appreciate a post on how you ply the 16/2 cotton. I'm not a spinner and was assured by a spinner friend that it is not possible to ply finished yarns together.