Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Oops

 



It happens.  Not often, but I've been a weaver for so long, used my equipment for so many years, sometimes things break.  Usually *when* I'm using them - or trying to.

So it was today.

I'd done my goal of two towels for the day but had finished early enough, and had energy enough left over that I decided to prep the bobbins for tomorrow.  

Several of my bobbins don't fit very well on the shaft of the bobbin winder and so they vibrate during winding.  A lot.  This vibration can eventually cause a stress fracture in the shaft of the bobbin, and if I don't notice it (which I don't, always) the next time I go to use it the vibration during winding can break the bobbin at the stress fracture.

The bobbin was just over half filled when it failed and I am not about to try and salvage the yarn on it.  It is, in fact, already in the garbage.

Am I upset?  No.  The value of the yarn is less than $1 and I don't really *need* it.  If I run out I'll just weave one less towel.  Whatever is left over will get used elsewhere.

I finished emptying the tube I was working from which should be enough to do two more towels.  There is one more tube, about half full, and that should have enough yarn for three towels.  Which means I should get 7 yellow towels.  If I get 8 I'll be very surprised.  Seven towels is actually about 1/3 of the warp so I'll cut off and re-tie and then finish the rest of the warp using some of that 16/2 teal.

The next draft has been generated - a variation on a theme.  

If I can keep on track, I should be able to finish this warp and get the next into the loom before it is time to leave for Olds.  I've heard from a couple of the students so I know they are getting ready, too.

Fingers crossed for good driving weather - there and back.  

Currently reading the latest by Sara Paretsky - book is in the other room.  She is one of several authors that I look for the next in the series and this one just came out recently so I was happy when I got it from the library the other day.  My pile of 'want to read' books is growing again with a number of my favourite authors bringing new titles out - Guy Gavriel Kay, Patricia Briggs just to name two.  Plus I've had new-to-me authors recommended.  Doug is reading one of them and quite enjoying it, so I'll look forward to reading it, too.  It's about 11 hours of driving to Olds - I should be able to get a few hours of reading there and back.  Who knows, maybe while there as well.  No tv in the townhouse, so we both might just binge read for a week.  :)

No comments: