Saturday, December 10, 2022

Anticipating the Solstice

 


The solstice is approaching.  That 'magical' time of the year when the sun stops it's southward journey and begins to come back (or vice versa if you live in the southern hemisphere).

One thing about the internet, it has broadened my horizons exponentially.  I no longer assume everyone who reads my posts is from Canada or the US, or even from the northern hemisphere.  It has, for me, been a great way to expand my horizons, break down the opaqueness of my reality bubble.  A reminder that my reality is not everyone's.

Not that I was particularly blinkered to begin with.  Because I read, voraciously, from a young age, had a Swedish pen friend, paid attention to what was going on, around the world.

During the winter, even before humans *were* 'human', many cultures began lighting fires - candles, oil lamps, bonfires - as a way to bring light to the darkness.  I use the above photo to remind myself that amplifying the voices of others does not, in any way, diminish ME.  If I share my light, my candle so others can light theirs, there is more light, less darkness.

And so I try to find people who are building.  And I share their efforts.  Because more light is less darkness.

It is about 2 weeks to the solstice.  The days here have been overcast and very dreary.  The urge to hibernate is strong.  But I'm not an animal that hibernates, and so I keep going.  I set my goals for the day.  Celebrate when I make them.  Move them to the next day when I don't.  

I may be slower than I used to be.  But I can, and will, keep on, keeping on.

And welcome the sun as it begins it's journey northwards once again...

No comments: