Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Eve

 


I would say I'm multi-tasking except the past few days I've been working on class stuff.  So not exactly 'multi', just a bunch of things that need doing with deadlines 'looming'.

Even though the lace class doesn't launch for some months yet, I promised I would develop a class project and since I have a variety of colours in 2/10 mercerized cotton, which Sweet Georgia Yarns sells, I thought I'd tackle two birds - use up some of that yarn *and* do a variety of colourways for students to either use as is, or springboard from to develop their own colour combinations.  And of course, once I started, I kept thinking of more options, and...since I want to use up my yarn stash as much as possible, why not just weave more?  I rather suspect that whatever is left will go to a guild member who requested mercerized cotton for making temari balls.

Plus the January class is coming up rather quickly, so I got the two warps wound for the class.  If I can't get to the guild room (someone is doing a major re-arranging of the room contents) before we leave for Vancouver, I may be pressed for time to get the two looms dressed, given the trip to Vancouver the week before the class begins.  Better not count on having the energy to both wind the warps and dress the looms, and today seemed like a warp winding day.  That's that bin and bag in the lower left hand corner.

Once those were done, I started two more warps for the lace class.  I have two done, but the yarns were calling my name, so why not?

The warps actually hold a number of 'lessons' - lace weave of course, because that's the class topic, but also examples of using the Fibonacci sequence to design stripes, then colour combinations, how the colours work together in lace and in plain weave.  The warps are long enough for two scarves and one is being woven in plain weave to use as colour blending examples.  Or to sell.  I'll decide later.

The yarn in the bin in the lower right of the photo is weft for the next warp going into the Megado.  At this point it may take a while because right now I'm focused on the lace class, and it's just easier if I finish that project before I go do something else, then have to re-tool my thinking back to the lace.

Goal tomorrow?  Dress the loom with one of the warps wound today, and who knows, maybe even begin weaving?  

That yellow/orange/red warp will be a perfect project for a merry day.

Best wishes to all, whatever you believe or don't believe.  We can all use a little 'happy', so I hope you have some.


No comments: