Friday, December 16, 2022

Multi-tasking. Again.

 


Today was a 'bitty' day.  A bit of this, a bit of that...

Yesterday I wet finished 5 'shawls'.  They are knitted not woven.  A few years ago I started seriously trying to use up my stash and was confronted with a whole *lot* of yarn that was too much to throw away, too little to weave with.  So I started bundling 3 or 4 threads together, knitting simple 'shawls'  or scarves.  I gave away a bunch, sold a few, donated some to the women's shelter in town one year, but I *still* have a box full - well, two, considering there is a basket *and* a box under my work table that were full to overflowing a couple of months ago.

Like I say, I've been getting rid of them slowly, not making more, even though I *still* have 'too much' yarn...

But we have been warned of a cold 'snap' coming in that is going to last for at least a week.  Temps will drop significantly and the time is being labelled 'extreme'.  

Unfortunately we have a lot (and I mean a LOT) of people in this town without a roof over their heads or walls to shelter in.  A number of non-profits who try to care for the physical well being of these and other vulnerable folk have set up warming stations where people without a house/home/abode can go to spend some time out of the cold, sometimes get a bowl of soup.

I can't do anything much about the larger issue of people without adequate housing, but I CAN do something about helping to keep some of them a bit warmer.

So yesterday I got 5 shawls ready and wet finished them, then laid them out on my studio floor to dry.  It's taking longer than I'd hoped, given the very low relative humidity in the house, so when I'm in the studio, I've been running the space heater to try and get them dry so they can be delivered tomorrow.  They are still too wet for today.  :(

If the organization accepts them and wants more, I can do some more over the weekend.  

It's a pain having them on the floor.  They are in the way.  But I'm safe and secure in my home and a little inconvenience is a small price to pay to hopefully provide a little comfort to someone who doesn't have my privilege.

1 comment:

Juli S said...

I am always looking for ways to contribute to community, and this is a great idea. It seems wrong to have the gift to make/create and not to use it for a greater good. I am currently weaving prayer shawls from my 8/4 cotton and gradually using it all up.