Monday, December 26, 2022

Step by Step

 


People don't realize that the act of creation usually doesn't fall full blown out of one's head into reality.  More usually it begins with a thought, a seed of an idea, and then as I work with it, I begin to push, pull, tug at it until it becomes...something.

So a few weeks ago I had an idea, a concept.  It was pretty well formed - as a concept.  But when I began putting my thoughts onto 'paper' (because I needed to go old school) it was pretty simple.  As the days/weeks went by, I began tweaking the idea, making minor changes, just to see what happened when I did.  

In the interim from having the idea, getting the original woven and wet finished, I have gone through several incarnations, slowly beginning to see how the weave structure works.

And yes, some of those ideas went straight to the trash bin!

However, I have arrived at this one, and once I get the scarves done (hopefully this week) I think this is the one I will put into the loom next.  

Right now I'm enjoying this 'play', trying this, trying that, tweaking here, tweaking there.  It is fulfilling the desire I had to explore weave structure and experiment.  

I'm not entirely satisfied with this, and *may* tweak it a bit further over the next few days because I see a way forward to clean up some of the lines.  But I may wait until I see it in the loom.  That's one of the big advantages of a computer assisted dobby - I can quickly make edits, then give them a try.

But right now my priority is to get the scarves done on the small loom.

No comments: