Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Book Review - Textile Design Theory in the Making

 



Two views of what is on the loom today - warp 3 in the new series


Textile Design Theory in the Making (copyright 2021)

Elaine Igoe, et al

BloomsburyVisual Arts (publisher)

 

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear, so the saying goes.  Sometimes the student winds up with the teacher they need, not the teacher they thought they wanted.

So it was with this book.

When I saw it mentioned, I assumed it was a book on design principles for textile designers, and because I’ve always felt a little unsure of myself when it comes to design theory, I thought this might be just the book I wanted.

Turns out it is the book I needed.

Prof Igoe has delivered a meaty book, one which I got the most out of by taking small bites, chewing thoroughly, and digesting over time while I let the questions she was asking settle into my mind and wound up with the most effective clearing away of mental cobwebs since I was a brand new weaver.

In very short order new approaches to thinking about weave structure were happening and I was grabbing good old fashioned graph/point paper and working out logistics.  Before I could do anything much of note, I needed to prove the concept so I got a warp into the loom with a very simple approach to see if it was going to weave up into something appropriate for my current needs.

As I wove I thought about how I could push, pull and prod the threads to create something more complex, and once I had the warp off the loom set about getting the run of tea towels wet finished so I could see how it would develop once done. 

By then I had come up with the next iteration and that went into the loom, where I watched the threads make their way through the weave structure and came up with a 3rd and then a 4th version (with several steps to get from 3 to 4.)

What I did not expect was how this change in thinking would begin to impact my approach to teaching and writing about weaving.

Since I am a weaver, primarily, the idea of a textile being a matrix immediately opened my thinking to that concept and as I work through the current series I am sure other ideas will occur to take me further along this path.  But it is also stirring up my desire to teach more and therefore write more.

To say that this book has been a force for positive change in my weaving practice would be an understatement.

I am grateful for Prof Igoe’s honesty in her research and exploration of how we think about how we think about creating textiles and for providing answers to questions I didn’t know I needed to ask.  (And that bit in italics is not a typo - stop and think about it for a minute.)

The book has an extensive glossary (much appreciated as some of the terms were new to me) and a lengthy bibliography for those who want to dive further into the literature.  The index is thorough and helpful to cross reference topics.

For a fresh look at designing textiles, this book might be the door through to a new way of thinking about textiles and how to design them for others as well.

The book is being published in paperback form this month.  

 

No comments: