Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Snowmaggedon

 


After a period of  'too warm' weather (for February), we are back to winter.  Yesterday started with steady fine snow, which then alternated between heavier snow, then finer, but snow all day.  Mostly it was fairly dry, not the heavy stuff that other places get, but it turned into a lot.  Depending on drifts, accumulation was well over 12".  Which is still not a lot compared to other places, but it was a lot for us.

Given we are both 'retired' and had no appointments for the first few days of this week, we have decided to just hunker down and not go anywhere.  

Doug does the snow shifting, but I doubt I'll poke my nose out the door.

The snow stopped overnight because the temperature dropped and we are now having a glorious winter day with fresh fallen snow (over *everything*) and light sparkling off the snow.  It's quite beautiful - if you don't have to be out in it.  The wind chill is sneaky and dangerous.

Hopefully this will be the last major 'storm' of the season, but with climate change, who knows, I sure don't!

Yesterday went fairly well.  One essay got written, then a tentative approach to the loom, which seemed to go well enough I did a second towel.  But my shuttles are getting 'worn' so Doug is going to deal with them today (I hope) because they are my favourite shuttles.  I have others, but one isn't quite 'right' and the rest are low profile which don't really like weaving on the Megado.  

My preference for shuttles is the Leclerc standard, but not just any 'standard', but a specific era of Leclerc shuttle making.  I prefer the older ones with the small grommet in the side, not the wider slot.  I prefer the shaped ones, not the straight one.  And I really dislike the newer plastic ones because the weight of them is too light and the plastic feels - well, too plastic-y.

I used to have about a dozen shuttles but I would bring them to weaving workshops and over the years some of them simply walked away.  So I stopped providing shuttles.  

At this point in my life I don't want to buy more, especially since I don't actually like the newer Leclerc shuttles and actively dislike the other brands - their shape, their feel, their weight.  So I am a bit anxious waiting for Doug to get to his workshop (before the temperature drops even lower) and for the wood finish to dry/cure so I can have my favourite shuttles back again.


the finish has worn off to bare wood - you'd think I weave a lot or something?

In the meantime, I will make do with my less favourite ones.  Because I'm quite pleased with how the new warp is weaving up and I really want to finish the black weft and move on to the next colour.

No comments: