Sunday, February 12, 2023

The Great Re-ordering

 


As I near the end of the current warp I think about the next.  (This is an old photo, but represents what will be happening next week.  I hope.)

With the goal of producing another 'book' this year, I have had to reconsider my 'usual' schedule and conserve my energy - and brain power.

To write I need to have clear thoughts and increasing brain fog makes that more difficult.  So I need to write earlier in the day when I can, and keep my weaving to later in the day when there is more doing and less thinking involved.  Usually.

I have been doing the indecision dance over my bobbin lace supplies.  Last week a friend I used to get together with to make lace and I discussed the prospect of the two of us offering a bobbin lace class to anyone interested.  I have accumulated a large stash of bobbin lace supplies and very nearly offered it all for sale at the conference here in 2019.  I did sell one of my pillows, but somehow could not part with any of the rest.

Since then I have not touched the bobbin lace stuff, other than to move it from here to there, then somewhere else as I rearranged the studio trying to make it more convenient to get at my weaving stash and weave it down.

This morning another friend emailed and asked if I would like her bobbin lace supplies.  I am taking that as a sign that I do need to refresh my skills and dig out my lace supplies.  I will have plenty of supplies to provide what is needed for students.  I need to find out who currently provides lace supplies in case they decide to continue.

When we talked about a 'class', we thought sometime early in the new (next) year would be a good time, so that gives me some time to get this 'book' written and out of my way and do a few other things before I dig out my bobbin lace books, pillow, bobbins and thread and see if I can still remember how to make lace.

I also want to get my spinning things out and start spinning again.  The target for that is after the workshop in April.

So I have a window of opportunity.  I have been doing fairly well at the writing aspect of the book, but things got a bit crunchy this week and hopefully I can get back to that this coming week.

Writing is just like any other creative endeavour.  If you don't actually do it, it doesn't get done.

One more week of class and that will take some of the pressure off of me - until the next class in April/May.  After that?  Who knows.  I'm learning to not plan too far in advance.

No comments: