Monday, February 20, 2023

Drama Queen

 


I'm not quite back to 'normal' (whatever that is, these days) but I felt like I could maybe weave, if I was careful.  

So I gingerly set out to get one towel woven before lunch.

The warp is that blend of teal/turquoise (threaded randomly, colourwise) that I've been doing with the previous couple of warps, with black as weft.  It's very 'dramatic'.  :D

I had two partial (nearly full and about half full) tubes of the black and they are really hard to tell apart from the dark navy blue, so decided I would use them up and get them out of my way.  I figured the black would look good on the warp.  From the looks of the number of bobbins I got from the half full tube, I ought to get six towels.  I will see if it looks possible to do a 7th when I get the 6th one done.

I think they look pretty good.  The appearance is a little like mud that has dried in the hot sun and cracked in a not quite symmetric formation.  My first response to the design was 'not pleased' because it isn't exactly symmetrical, but let's say it is symmetrically asymmetrical?  

It's hard to see the design at this point and I wanted to show both sides of the cloth, which made it even harder but weaving this towel is definitely in the 'win' column.  I'm not entirely sure I will try for a second, although I'm feeling ok.  And ultimately weaving isn't just about the physical, but the mental and emotional benefits I get while weaving.

Another essay was written before I went to the loom.  I'm trying to get them written before I have too much brain fog.  The essays are also making me do some exploration I have been intending to do but never quite got 'round tuit'.  So the blog post info from yesterday got incorporated into today's essay.

I'm now taking only 'ordinary' over the counter pain meds, so I took more a few minutes ago and will decide in about 15 minutes if weaving a second towel seems like a good idea.  The advantage is that they are now strong enough for the remaining pain and don't give me the brain fog the stronger stuff causes.

But I'm also a month out from the epidural injection, and that will start wearing off soon - maybe sooner after the pain flare last week, who knows, I don't.  :(   So I feel strongly that I need to stay focused on getting 5 essays done each week in case I can't write with clarity when I descend into active chronic pain that requires the strong stuff.  I am trying really hard to think of this as the worst merry-go-round on the playground rather than the worst roller coaster in the world.  For as long as the jabs provide enough relief to get off the hard stuff, at least for a little while, I guess I keep making the trip to Vancouver - until the local pain clinic can take me.  Like everywhere else, wait times for some health issues just keep growing as covid is now being treated as 'endemic' and little to no prevention is being done.  Lots of people with long covid suffering pain and fatigue and mysterious other symptoms, all needing help, too.

For immune compromised people like me, it's very depressing, so I need to keep weaving...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really like the towel! [and that you had the energy to work on it]. Your loom is very patient, it will wait for you. Be kind to yourself—take the breaks as you need them. You’ve given so much to the weaving community. Thank you. Thinking of you.