Thursday, February 9, 2023

Still Juggling

 


I don't always remember to take photos of my textiles - having a ko-fi shop is a reminder that I need to document some of my productivity!

Today was an exercise in juggling the things that needed doing.  It was time to get the Shingrix vaccine so that took priority.  And, because I didn't know how or even if I would react to it, decided that weaving today was probably not the best idea.

Instead I ran around, did some 'shopping', was moderately successful with some of the items, not so much for the rest.  C'est la vie.

It was late when I got home from town so lunch was late, and therefore *I* was late getting started on studio stuff.

The weather continues mild (for February) and I wouldn't complain except it's dirty because it's above zero during the day so the snow melts, the roads are wet and everything gets covered with road dirt.  Plus, given it IS February, this is likely going to continue for weeks.  Last year spring break up lasted for months, it seemed like, not a couple of weeks and this is beginning to look a lot like a repeat.  Not one that I welcome.

On the other hand, I was astonished to see a few (a very few) more people with masks on.  The most surprising one was London Drugs.  The last couple of times I ran in to get something from the pharmacy, the only people masking (largely) were staff in the pharmacy area.  Not so much in the rest of the store.

Today pretty much every staff person I saw was wearing a mask.  I was pleasantly surprised, given the lack of masking over the previous year.  Maybe someone finally figured out staff shortages could be alleviated by having more staff wear masks so that fewer of them caught the plague?  Whatever the reason, I was grateful because I had some 'shopping' to do in the store.  And because I felt 'safer' I lingered longer, and bought more than I had intended.

The situation at the Bay was quite different.  I saw no one else in a mask.  Mind you, I barely saw any staff, and so I could not find what I needed and left when I had looked as best I could.

What depressed me was the long line up outside of the walk in clinic that had about 15 or more people waiting to enter.  One assumes they were 'sick' - why else would they be needing the walk in clinic?  And not a single person in the line up was wearing a mask.

The post office had a sign up saying they were closing at 4 today, and when one customer made a bit of a comment about the long wait, the answer was 'we are short staffed today'.  Really?  What a surprise.  Who could have foreseen that...given you gave up masking a few months ago - and have struggled to staff the wickets, sort the mail and get it delivered...

So I continue to avoid crowds and indoor, unventilated spaces as best I can.  I continue to mask.  I try my hardest to avoid the plague.

Because I have essays to write and tea towels to weave.  And I need to do both of those now, while I still can.  Onwards.

No comments: