Sunday, June 18, 2023

Life With Lemons


In the wee hours of this morning, my editor discovered she was working with an editing program that was corrupted and which meant that the entire manuscript was not going to work 'properly' using that corrupted program.

After hours of trying to find a work around, she phoned to extend her apologies and let me know that she wasn't going to meet the deadlines we had laid out.

OTOH, the essays themselves were looking good - it was just going to take longer than planned to get it ready to upload to the online publishing company.  It might even take beyond my proposed launch date.

After discussing the situation with her, it seemed to me that I could still do the launch 'party', even though the files might not actually be ready on blurb.  We should, by then, have a firm date by which they *would* be ready.  

We made some changes in what we had planned, and she has gone back to her computer to begin re-doing the formatting for the ms from scratch.

First she has to 'rescue' the finalized essays from the corrupted formatting program.  Then we discussed the other issues that needed to be addressed and we have a new plan.

In the end, it's actually taken a weight off my shoulders, given the sudden addition of appointments for the coming week, plus the video review for the lace class that I'd completely forgotten about in my scheduling, but which I managed to complete this morning.  So that's a huge sense of relief because the launch date for *that* is July 6 on School of Sweet Georgia.

My plan to have the review copies ready this coming week is now on hold until after I get home from Vancouver.  That means that if the new format is ready by July 1 the review copies can go out on July 2 or 3, plus there is still a chance that the July 9 launch date is valid.  But I am very familiar with 'moveable feasts' and rather than re-schedule my 'party' I'm going to do as planned and have the Zoom event anyway.  It IS, after all, still my birthday.  :)

And who doesn't love a party?

Bring your lemonade.

 

No comments: