Friday, June 9, 2023

Moving Right Along

 


Yesterday I began weaving on the new warp and so far have woven one more towel today.  There is enough of this warm red/brown to weave 4 towels.  Truth is, there *might* be enough for five, but I don't know and I'm not a fan of playing yarn chicken when there is still plenty of other yarn left to be used up!  And a local fibre artist will take my thrums and turn them into temari balls, so it won't go to waste.

In fact the deep red that will be used next was likely sufficient all by itself to weave this entire warp, but since I'm trying to use up all of the 2/20 mercerized cotton, decided that four of these would be done with the brown.

I'm pleased enough with them.  I like the undulations that roll through the cloth.  I particularly like a couple of the elements of the design and have been thinking about ways to incorporate them into another warp.  

As I weave I watch the flow of the lines, think about how they might look re-arranged, or mirrored, or combined with other elements possible in this weave structure.  Eventually I'll get to the desktop and mess around, see what happens.

What intrigues me also is that depending on the twill line direction, the colour of the weft will be more intense or less.  I like the overall weave structure which is based on a twill ratio and progression, but with hiccoughs.

Frequently there are 'surprises' that I don't anticipate that add depth to the overall look.

It's cooled off a bit today, but the smoke is creeping back.  A town northeast of us has been ordered to evacuate due to a large wildfire approaching closer to them.  The entire town needed to leave, quickly.  I hope the fire crews can contain the fire so that they don't lose everything.  

It isn't even halfway through June and already the fire season is shaping up to be worse than ever before.  Behold our new 'normal' folks...

I'm heading back to the loom where I at least feel like I have some control, maybe generate a few endorphins, a little dopamine...

No comments: