Monday, June 11, 2012

Twist and Shout

Winding a dense warp - only 15" wide, but too many threads to cram onto the warping board so I split into two chains.  The yarn is 2/8 warp twist cotton and as you can see below, there is residual twist in the yarn so when it is taken off tension the warp chain wants to torque.


When working with a yarn like this it is important to put the lease sticks in with the warp chain nice and straight like this...


...not twisted like this:

One reason I don't wind very small warp chains is that I tend to work with yarns with residual twist and with a very small chain it's just that much harder to see when it has twisted.  Not to mention the extra tying and storing of a bunch of small warps.

I tie the four 'arms' of the cross because quite often I will go on a warp winding tear and wind 6 or 8 at once and then weave them off later.  Tying all four parts of the cross is perhaps a tiny bit anal, but it feels more secure to me to leave them for some time and not worry about the chain getting disturbed and the cross mangled.

Currently reading Laughed til He Died by Carolyn Hart

3 comments:

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

A tip (that I have never followed, myself): tie just the upper "arms" of the cross, and you instantly know if it is twisted or not, when putting in the lease sticks.
(I do as you: 4 ties. I also *always* tie 4 ties on my texsolv heddles when storing them...even though I have heard the same tip goes for heddles)

Cheers!
Kerstin

Laura Fry said...

Yes, I've thought of that, too, but am too chicken to try it - except for warps that are going directly from the board onto the loom. :}
cheers,
Laura

Carol Johnson said...

Try tying the upper arms of the cross with one color, and the lower arms of the cross with another color. When you put in the lease sticks, it's easy to see if they match or not.