Sunday, August 29, 2021

Time/Efficiency

 


sleying the reed, with bundles of warp ready to be tied on to the apron - about 1" worth each bundle


Video clip


Time becomes more precious the less of it we have (paraphrase from Bonnie Raitt)


When I first started weaving it was with the intention of earning an income from it.  With that intention front of mind, I paid attention to the things, the processes, that took the most time.  As I became better at weaving, I began to see where things could be stream lined.  How spending a little bit more time at one stage wound up saving me a whole lot of time at the next.

One of the things I do that sometimes puzzles people is that I slip knot each group of threads as I thread them.  

On the Leclerc, which has four shafts, my usual group for threading is four or six ends.  When I have them pulled through their respective heddles, they get put into a bundle and tied in a slip knot.  The video clip above shows how I do that.  On the Megado, it is generally 4, 6 or 8 ends in a group that get slip knotted together in preparation for sleying.  It depends(!)

Now it takes a whole lot longer to explain and show what I do than it does to do it.  I think tieing the knot takes one second.  What it does, however, is save me a great deal of time when I sley the reed.  

People frequently assume that I have some sort of magical powers, or that I must spend hours every day at the loom in order to produce as much as I do.  

Well, I used to.  My productivity now is a small fraction of what I used to be able to do.  But I'm 'retired' (for certain values of) and there is little need for me to produce at the levels I used to be able to do.

But my efficient processes continue, in no small part because I don't want to work artificially slowly (as one friend put it).  

The aging process has already slowed me down, I don't see any benefit in working in ways that slow me down even further.  I can find other ways to spend my time than sitting cramped in front of a loom threading and/or sleying the warp.

I'm not saying everyone must do things my way.  I have fine tuned my skills for 4 decades.  People can only rarely pick up a threading hook and thread a warp as quickly as I can, even now with my aging eyes and growing cataracts.  

But here's the thing.  It isn't a contest.  I'm not the 'winner'.  So I share what I do.  I encourage people to find their own 'best practices'.  And above all, enjoy the process.  Because in the end, that is literally all we have - our lives, and living them to their fullest.

Do what makes you happy.  Make what brings you joy.  Invest your time in the way that brings you pleasure.

2 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

I, too, tie my threads in bundles after heddles are threaded. I think I was taught this when I learned to weave, but it’s possible I learned it from you or just figured it out myself. I no longer remember.
And when I hear people say something like, I hate to beam my warp, or thread the loom, or whatever, I wonder if/why that want to weave at all. It’s all part of the process, and if you hate major parts of the process you might want to find a different outlet for your creativity.

Laura Fry said...

I just assume that if someone 'hates' some part of the process they still haven't found a way to do it that doesn't wind up in tangles or tears. I suppose that is why I'm so vocal, even now, about showing what I do. Maybe people just need to learn a different way.