Thursday, August 26, 2021

Wee Hiatus

 


I couldn't get a good/accurate shot of this warp on my camera.  The blue is pretty close, but the pale colour is actually a light lavender.  The weft is a blue about the same shade as most of the blue of the warp.   The weave structure is a herringbone twill.  While the warp is silk, I'm low on silk yarn for weft, so I'm using bamboo.  I've used this combination before and was satisfied with the results.  And I can keep the price lower than if it was 100% silk.

This week has been a bit...fraught...for a number of reasons.  My main goal was honing the filming schedule for the first topic and I've sent that off for approval.  The samples are packaged up and labelled, and piled up on the floor for the time being.  Once I've received word that what I've done is ok, I will begin packing everything and clearing the decks for the next deadline.

I had thought to start work on the second topic, but personal matters have kept me from being able to focus on what is a much more complex topic.  Progress is being made on that front, and I should be hearing about the ghost weaving I will do, next Monday.  I found myself at odds, not really wanting to do much of anything while Life Happened.  At it's own pace, as always.

In an effort to continue to reduce stash, I set up this warp and began weaving late yesterday afternoon.

Overall, I'm pleased enough with it.  I still have several pounds of hand dyed silk (of my own) plus some silk I inherited.  It's the same size, but only a skein of each colourway, so I will see if there are also solids I can put with it.  On the other hand, it's taking about 100 grams to wind a warp for two scarves, and the skeins in the inheritance are 100 grams.  It would just mean winding one end at a time, instead of two.  But I can do that - it will just take twice as long.

However, I may not get much more done before I have to switch gears for the ghost weaving.  I should be able to finish this warp tomorrow or Saturday which would leave a couple of days over the weekend to prep another and get it into the loom.

The good news is that the temps have gone down significantly, and progress is being made on the wildfire situation.  There are still way too many fires, some of them huge and still out of control.  But hopefully the high heat is over and things will begin cooling down.

Covid still grows, though, and school begins soon.  Hopefully the new indoor mask mandates will help curb the continuing growth.

My fervent hope is that covid will be enough under control that the trip to Vancouver can go ahead the first week of October.  But if it doesn't, well, other arrangements will have to be made.

I am also working on getting ready for the big craft fair, the first week of November, and the guild room sale that will happen after that.  I certainly have more than enough inventory, and I expect other guild members will as well.  We will just need to be aware of covid mandates - attendees will have to be vaccinated but I will also be wearing a mask when I work a shift, as will at least one other guild member who has lung issues.  

Between the world at large and more local concerns, I've had a lot on my mind.  I've been taking solace from puttering in the studio, continuing my quest to use up as much of my yarn stash as I can.

Onwards.

No comments: