Sunday, August 8, 2021

Zoom Zoom

 



Just finished another Zoom presentation.  I don't know if the lip sync is better in the live presentation, but I'll ya something for free, vetting the recording is painful.  Or can be.

Today's recording was So Far from synchronized, I could not watch the screen much as the action on screen and what I was hearing in the audio was so far out of sync it was as bad as fingernails drawn down a chalkboard.

This kind of technology glitch is one reason I'm not willing to try and teach on Zoom in any serious way.  My study groups are by donation, not a set fee.  If a recording is so uncomfortable to view that you just can't, you haven't paid for something and then not received fair value for it.

And I don't feel obliged to refund anyone their money because...it's a donation.  They get to decide if they make one and how large - or small - it will be.

But this sort of thing just reinforces my desire to NOT teach via Zoom.  The lectures are one thing, but to try and teach an actual class?  I just don't have the time, energy or technology chops to deal with it.

We are currently out from under a smoke plume, for which I'm incredibly grateful, but the temps are rising again.  It is, after all, only the first week of August, and we have plenty of days to come where we expect it to be warm.  The forecast is for more extreme heat to arrive later in the week.  People are being warned to be careful of the heat and others are dealing with heat *and* wildfore evacuations and/or smoke.

In the meantime, I have a new warp on the Leclerc and samples to weave.  But I'm tired and it's 4 pm.  I think I'm going to go lay down for a bit before I figure out what is for dinner.

All of my deadlines are beginning to crash into each other, so it was a huge relief when I found a Power Point I had written a few years ago that will address the 10th Zoom seminar.  That takes a big load off my shoulders.  

Nap first.  Think about doing something productive later.  

No comments: