Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Goat Trails. Again

 


The goat trails come and go but never disappear entirely.

However, I sorted through my hand dyed variegated silk cones (I used to import and dye and sell the yarn) to see what there was, if there was enough for a warp - or two - and what rayon yarns I might have to use as weft on them.  As it happens, there is enough for 5 more warps in addition to those I've already done.

This corner of the studio got filled with a bunch of stuff from other corners of the room in the latest shuffle which makes getting at the silk much more difficult.  And the reeds, stored behind that table on the right hand side.

I have lots of bobbin lace stuff I need to decide what to do with - do I keep?  Or sell on.  Will my eyesight improve enough after cataract surgery that I will be able to see well enough?  Or should I just bite the bullet and get rid of everything.  The basket under the table is just ONE of the piles of lace equipment/books I own.

Decisions, decisions.

In the meantime I have done the rough outline for the second filming, added in the items I'd initially forgotten, and now need to figure out filming times.  But first I wanted to finish the warp on the loom, which I just now did.  The two scarves are now sitting on the dining room table, waiting to be fringe twisted.

But that is also the space I need to spread out my papers while I gnaw on a pencil and figure out the details.

All well and good to come up with the concept, the devil is in the details, as they say, and it is time to wrestle with the devil!

As far as weaving goes, I now have a couple of opportunities to sell my work in Nov.  The large craft fair is scheduled to go ahead, no doubt with lots of covid protocols.   People who want to participate will require proof of vaccination as will shoppers.  I'm undecided if I will go help in the booth or not.  Much will depend on the level of covid floating around in 8 weeks time.  I can always take all the shifts for the guild room where there will be far fewer people and we can control ventilation better.

Anyway, there is good incentive to weave the silk scarves and have them ready for Nov.

In the meantime I am still waiting to hear about the ghost weaving I agreed to do last July.  So I'm pouring on the coals trying to finalize the filming so I can hit the ground running as soon as I get the details.  Yup.  Details.  More details to sort out.

The sort of details that I enjoy getting my teeth into and then winding up with something close to what I wanted.  Always something to learn.

Currently reading Not Dark Yet by Peter Robinson

No comments: