Monday, November 21, 2022

Coles Notes

 



Coles Notes

I honestly had no idea Coles Notes was a Canadian 'thing'.  They were just there, for most of my student life and I assumed everyone had them.  

So I was going to write a blog about my answers on social media forums as being like Coles Notes, but then realized younger folk might not know the reference, so I Googled it. 

Wow.  My how things have changed!

Anyway, back to my personal version of 'Coles Notes' - my answers on social media.

Social media isn't a great place for deep dives into subject matter.  Even here on my blog, I tend to write out quite specific information.  So when people ask questions online, what they tend to be looking for is an answer to a very specific circumstance that is causing them issues.  When I answer such questions I don't always share what I do, particularly, but try to just answer their question.  In Coles Notes form.

Even in my book, I wasn't able to write it ALL down.  If I'd tried I would never have finished writing the damn thing!  As it is, since the book was published I have continued to learn more, so the book is still just a 'snapshot' in time of what I knew - or thought I did - when it was written.

My lectures on SOS actually wind up more targeted and in depth, in part because I have a live audience who can ask questions at the time of recording, and I'm happy to expand when someone wants to know more.  The lectures are themed around specific principles of the craft and I am able to connect the dots between that theme and other aspects of weaving.

Generally the lectures last about two hours.  That's enough time for most people to feel saturated and unable to absorb more (which is where the recording comes in handy - they can go back and review the lecture as many times as they want) and myself wrung out from trying to stay on track and keep my language fresh.

The lectures tend to include lots of textiles as examples of what I'm talking about, too.

For guild I can pare down my lectures to around 60 or so minutes, but that usually means I tend to rush through.  If guilds want the full two hour experience, I can do those as a 'seminar'.

My relationship with SOS will continue for at least all of next year.  The woven lace workshop launches in July (at least that's the schedule right now), and in August I've agreed to do a Q&A with anyone interested.  I'm looking forward to more interaction with the students and hopefully guide them through anything that remains obscure.

I'd like to remind folk that my books are still available at blurb.com, and signed copies of The Intentional Weaver are at Sweet Georgia Yarns website.  Last I looked they still had lots of copies.  Might be a nice xmas present for a weaving friend?  


No comments: