Monday, November 7, 2022

Social Media

 


Social Media.  Yeah.

The rise of the internet promised so many things.  Access to knowledge.  Instant communication around the globe.  All of that.

The internet in its early days was quite amazing.  We were all 'new' to computers and access to others.  I well remember the 'handshake' squeal of the first internet connection I had - via a FreeNet portal supported by the new university in town.  I could have a one hour window of opportunity for free to access the few websites around, mostly all educational because they were hosted by other educational institutions, and then various bulletin boards.  I discovered Usenet and their rec.crafts.textiles board early on and followed it from Usenet to quilt.net, then Yahoo.

Every time the group moved, we had to learn new protocols, new platforms.  Eventually the communication changed from text only to being able to add images, and I finally managed to scrape up the money to buy access to a proper server.

Since then I've changed servers, then had my latest server change to Google for platform, which meant a whole lot of messing about getting my computer and other devices sorted out.

During the early years of this century, other opportunities for communication happened - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, plus many others.  I confined myself to those three for the longest time, but recently decided I needed a back up in case Twitter foundered.

It seems most social media reaches a certain stage when it begins to fall apart.  I wonder if it is time for Twitter to reach that tipping point.

For me Twitter has been more than I expected, given I was exposed to Usenet boards originally.  On Twitter I was able to 'meet' a number of interesting people and 'follow' them.  Some I kept following, others got left by the way as my interests changed.

Twitter allowed me a snapshot into the lives of others, which enlarged my reality bubble in ways that I hadn't expected, but welcomed.

As someone who was self-employed, trying to reach a very niche market, I was able to leverage the internet by having a presence on line, first with my own website, then this blog.  The blog allowed me a personal platform where I could express my thoughts in long form, teach in short form, explore concepts, encourage others by supporting them, reviewing their books, referring people to them for more information.

As computers got more complex I had to grow along with them.  Ditto the internet platforms.  I confess it has not always been easy.  Truth to be told, it's been more frustrating than anything else.  But.  But.  I can present my thoughts and ideas, explain myself in greater detail, refer people who want more in depth information to this blog rather than take up bandwidth on someone else's timeline or site.

I've marketed myself as a teacher and author, and even managed to sell my stuff.  Because I can directly address people who I *know* will be interested.

And that's what marketing is all about - it's sharing information with people who will be interested.  If not for themselves, then for others.

So my internet experience now includes my website (newly redesigned this summer with info on the Zoom lectures I can do for guild programs/lectures) at laurafry.com, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, my ko-fi shop (link lower left of the screen) where I offer things for sale (watch for new listings coming soon), and now?  Mastodon.  If Twitter collapses under its own weight, I wanted another window onto the world and while Mastodon isn't Twitter, it might do.  Time will tell.  If you want to follow me there, I'm at artisan.chat  @laurafry

So basically I will continue to use this blog for long form mostly weaving content.  FB has evolved into long-ish form content about current events.  Twitter tends to cover current events where I share whatever 'good' info I can find about things going on and where my sarcasm tends to come out more often than on Facebook or here.  Mastodon is likely going to be a kind of Twitter/Instagram mashup, for now, at least.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  So I'll stick around on Twitter for now, see if it can get through this latest upheaval and who knows, Mastodon might turn into something more than I expect, too.  

No comments: