Saturday, November 5, 2022

White on White

 


White on white can be very subtle.  In fact, during weaving, I don't actually see the design at all.  The only reason it shows in this photo is because I moved the light at the loom very low and directed the light across the plane of the fabric.

Once woven and wet finished, and the cloth is in use as a towel (hung up?) the design will be a subtle effect, and one I quite like although don't much use these days because most people like a bit of colour.

So over the years, as I gained confidence in my ability to work with colours (I'm NOT an intuitive colour person, I had to work hard at it) I wove with white on white less and less.

But I still like it, and I still do weave with it from time to time.

I had the cotton/linen plyed yarn in my stash and had been using it on coloured warps, but there were only two tubes left and my goal of stash reduction means I've been looking at yarns, clearing them out by weaving them up.  So for the first towels on this natural 2/16 warp, I decided to use the cotton/linen ply.

I had been thinking of using it on the pale blue/grey warp, but realized the natural linen with it's brownish tones would muddy the paler hues.  So I finished the blue/grey with something else and reserved this yarn for this towel.

I'm pleased enough with it, and it should be enough for 5 towels.  Then, a lime green 2/20 linen, and then?  The 2/20 mercerized cotton.  Finally.

Told a friend yesterday that I have so much 2/20 mercerized cotton it will most likely take all of next year to use it up.  If I can keep weaving two towels a day.  Longer, if I can't.

I have about 3 pounds of 2/20 bleached white mercerized cotton and a huge cotton of unmercerized bleached white 2/20 cotton.  So either I buy enough dyed 2/16 yarn to use the white on, or I make more white on white.  Perhaps I'll do a bit of both?

We had our first 'serious' snow over the past few days.  Seems winter has arrived.

Stay safe everyone.  Drive according to the road/weather conditions.  And wear a mask (if you can*).  Flu/cold/covid season is upon us.  The trifecta of viruses is here.

*I recognize not everyone CAN wear a mask for reasons - but for those of us who can, let's protect ourselves and others and break the chain of transmission...

No comments: