Thursday, April 25, 2024

Approaching the Finish Line

 






The Larsen books.


These are the five books by Jack Lenor Larsen (with others) that Allison had in her collection.  I feel sad that so few 'new' weavers are aware of his contribution to the textile world and community.  What can I say?  The books are gorgeous and if someone is looking for inspiration, they would not go amiss in having these books.

The two with Mildred Constantine are truly 'coffee table' books.  Large format, wonderful photographs.  Material Wealth is fabulous.  For all those people who say 'commercially' produced fabrics are poor quality - well, this book puts the lie to that statement.

The other 'inspiration' book Allison had is the Ann Sutton book.  There are times when just paging through such books can fill up the well of creativity.  There is much to admire in these books and I'm hoping that a guild somewhere will invest in them for their members to use.

The memoir is signed by Larsen, for anyone who likes that thread of connection.  

This morning someone tagged me saying that they had half-remembered an article produced by WeaveZine and when they found it realized that it had been written by me.  And thanked me for being a good resource.  

If I have done nothing else, I hope that I will be leaving behind good information for others.  I mean, what else can one hope for, other than being regarded a person who wanted to help?  (Someone emailed me yesterday to say that they have adopted the technique of tying a slip knot into their threading groups and are finding it makes the sleying go much easier.  Yes!  Me, too!)

In this day and age where caring for others seems to be being discouraged, I will continue to help, as best I can.

But I am also reaching the end of the amount of time and effort I'm willing to put into this effort to re-home Allison's books.  If nothing else, I'm hoping some guilds will invest in some of these books because they represent - in many ways - our history.  And knowing our history, understanding our ancestors both near and far) and keeping our history alive seems like A Good Thing.

Thank you to all who have bid, so far.  I have been sending packages off nearly every day, hoping that these books will continue to provide inspiration and connection for many more years to come.

No comments: