Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Repeats

 


Yesterday the auction for the copy of Handloom Weaving Technology closed so last night I listed another copy.  (Allison had 3 copies in her collection.)

Not all of the books are getting bids, and eBay automatically re-lists them.  Right now I'm letting the listings stand without change in hopes that word will reach that one person who wants that book.

The challenge these days is that the cost of shipping has increased exponentially, especially to the US (given Mr. Trump pulled the US out of the postal agreement - just in case you want to know who to blame for that huge increase to the US).  

OTOH, the fact that I can send something to pretty much anyone, anywhere in Canada or the US for a relatively small amount is pretty amazing.  

I am holding books until people finish their 'shopping', then adjusting the shipping charge.  This has resulted in some savings for two people - so far - and a few others are still holding until they are done bidding.  eBay doesn't exactly make it easy, but once I have the amount and tracking number, I have been able to notify the purchaser of the tracking number (yes, it costs more to have one) and issue a refund.

Some of Allison's books are a bit...esoteric.  Like the history of spinning wheels in Canada.  Anyone know someone who is researching that topic?   They really want that book.  Japanese Ikat?  Chilkat Blankets?  These books are niche topics in a niche market, but still valuable for all that they were published a number of years ago.

So please - spread the word.  And I will take 'offers' on the re-listed books.  First offer that comes will get the book.  Bearing in mind I need enough money to cover the shipping and the eBay fees...


2 comments:

Deb said...

You and Allan’s word battles were epic! It was always R&D vs Production point of view for me. I was sad we lost him early.

Laura Fry said...

So was I, especially when I found out he'd been in the middle of writing new book(s). I think he was working on one about wet finishing and wish he'd been able to finish it. :(

There was nothing he loved so much as a good 'argument' and I think - maybe - he respected me for the fact that I never backed down when I felt I was right and could always say why. :) I think - I hope - there was mutual respect.