Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Evolution

 


One of the challenges I have set myself is to work exclusively from my stash.  Which isn't a particular hardship - I have loads of yarn to choose from!  But it makes me stretch further in my colour choices than I would if I were still buying yarn.  Because at this point, I have burned through most of the cotton flake.  If I were still in production mode, I would by now have sent in an order for more yarn.  But the point is to use up what I have, not willy-nilly buy more.  So.

Originally this warp was slated to be used to weave off the black flake.  As such I had more darker values, and fewer light ones.  

But I still have a warp's worth of this rose flake.  On the last warp I noticed that the rose dulled against the more pure emerald green and looked more adobe than rose.  So I started editing the yarns in the bin, taking out the darker rose variegation that was more on the blue end, removing the darker stone grey, the dull mauve, and replacing them with a variegated that was lighter in value with a pale pink, light blue, light green and peach, replacing the darker values with more of the pale beige.  I also increased the variegated from two ends per inch to four.

All of this editing was done over the course of several days, usually because I walked by the bin, 'saw' the colours out of the corner of my eye which snagged my attention.

I still have the black flake to use up, but I have a warp started with darker blue, a bit of purple and who knows what all else will go into it.  Or I might do another beige warp but with the darker values.

There are also 2 large cones of 8/2 cotton variegated in dark blue/green.  This will make good weft on a 2/8 cotton warp, but I'm not sure about that, yet.  That yarn is definitely on the back burner.

I have one more cotton place mat warp wound, ready to go into the Leclerc Fanny and on which I should use up another chunk of the cotton boucle and more of the white flake.  Once I have woven that warp, I am going to declare place mats of that design ended.  Then will come the job of weaving off the rest of the white flake.  I'm not sure how much yarn there is, but 5 large tubes - maybe 2 lb each?  

But the flake is weaving off so quickly, it won't take long to weave down that yarn.  Once this series of towels is done, that will empty three more shelves.  With a little juggling of what else is on those shelves.

Each warp is approximately 20 yards or so.  With this design I'm getting 16 towels and it is taking about two weeks to dress and weave off the warp.  I should be done with this design by summer.  And then I need to decide what to do next.

Decisions, decisions!

Currently reading If I Knew Then by Jann Arden

No comments: