Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Mid-March

 


The bouts are taped to a stick, then brought forward to sit just behind the shafts for threading

I'm not entirely sure where the first half of March disappeared to but we are over the halfway mark now.  One year since the pandemic was named as such.  A year of events cancelled, things put on hold, suspension of life as 'usual'.  

Yesterday was reasonably productive.  Doug effected the adjustments to the Megado that needed doing.  I suspect some of the problem was too many months of low relative humidity and wooden machines shrink as the wood gives up the humidity in it.  Of course I do weave most days on it so it could have just been vibration.  Or a combination of both.  Anyway, it didn't take very long and it's back to weaving more towels.

Yesterday I finished off the 'last' place mat warp.  I'm sure there will be others, but not of the current design.  My body just can't take the heavy beating needed for it.  I may do something else, in the future.

That warp got cut and serged while Doug got the Megado ready, then into the washer/dryer with them.  Today they'll get pressed and there will be more hemming to be done.

Once that was finished I beamed the next warp for towels.  This combination was a late addition to the queue but was brought forward because I want to use up as much of the dyed cotton flake as possible and I think the black will look very nice on this intense turquoise/emerald warp.  Three ends of a variegated with some of those colours in it were added into the mix.  There is probably more than enough black to finish this warp with some left over.  I have another deep value intense combination pulled on which I'll finish the forest green, then whatever black is left.  And then it will be on to the white.

There is a beige combination pulled and the last of the beige cotton flake will get woven on that, the rest will be white.

For the blue combo, there is some blue flake left, then probably the last of the rose. I do believe there isn't enough of any dyed colour to use up after that and then it will be all white, until it's used up.

I do have some dark blue cotton boucle, but I will likely weave that in plain weave and the 2/8 cotton is starting to get used up so I will likely wind striped warps on the warping board and switch to the Leclerc.  I can probably use the live weight tension system on that which will mean no stepping sideways to release the tension.  But I'm not sure.  Will have to rig it up and see.

Today I will start threading and should be able to get it all done.  But tomorrow is personal maintenance day, so not liable to get started weaving.  Friday, I guess.

But this weekend I have two intense Zoom meetings and I very much doubt I'll get any weaving done then.  But I should be able to get cracking next week.  So the goal is to get this warp off by the end of the month.  Fingers crossed!

Currently reading Son of Trickster by Eden Robinson

No comments: