Saturday, March 27, 2021

Uncertainty

 


The picture doesn't really do this cloth justice.  It's more blue than green and the variegated yarns (showing up as pale streaks) adds extra interest to the cloth.

In real life, it's meeting my expectations and I'm pleased with it.

But that's the thing - nothing is ever as it seems and it depends on our perspective and distance from the issues.

Part of my fascination with weaving is that I never really know how a cloth is going to turn out.  Sometimes I can take a web off the loom and it's better than I thought it was going to be.  And then I wet finish it and something about it changes.  Usually a subtle difference, but in the end?  It's less than I'd hoped.

A recent example is the one that had iridescence when it was woven, but which disappeared when it was wet finished.  The final result was something rather bland and not pleasant to my eye.  But for everyone else, who had not seen that little magical effect?  They could only judge it on what it was, not on the little bit of magic I had seen while cutting it off the loom.

(For anyone interested in pursuing the phenomenon, Bobbie Irwin's book on the topic is a must.)

As pleased as I am with the current cloth, it is now officially over the halfway mark and I'm already looking forward to finishing it so I can begin the next in the queue.  At two towels per day, that means I should have it off the loom on Tuesday and will likely begin setting up the next and beaming it on Wed.

Yes, I'm counting the days!  Setting daily goals it what keeps me getting out of bed and actually doing something other than moping around the house.

It is another grey dreary day today.  More rain/sleet in the weather forecast.  Temps are still on the chilly side, but next week they should start going up at bit.  If I can find the energy, I hope to begin walking as soon as it is warmer.  The streets are free of ice/snow, but it's still cold, grey and damp and I just...don wanna.

We do, however, have our vaccination appointments.  Still a few weeks away, but that's ok.  I know I need to stay home, wear a mask when I do need to go out.  As more people get vaccinated, things should - hopefully - start getting a little better with fewer restrictions.  But then, the variants are also growing, so the uncertainty about pandemic measures remains.  

Frankly, the original estimate for vaccines was for later this year.  I think it's really great that they are rolling out now, in the spring.  We may begin to see herd immunity late this summer.  Time will tell.

I'm of the generation where there were no vaccines for many 'childhood' illnesses, so I had measles, mumps and chicken pox the 'natural' way.  I don't recommend!  I'll have the vaccine for covid, and if we need a yearly boost?  I'll have that too.  I'll take some protection over none.  Just saying.

No comments: