Thursday, October 21, 2021

Autumn Mist

 


As summer slowly slides into autumn, we wind up having fog in the mornings.  The cooler temps turn the humidity in the air into mist that usually burns off mid-morning.  This morning I woke up around 7 am and as I grabbed my morning pills and juice, turned on the coffee maker, the moon was bidding me farewell as it slowly sank into the west.

It was an ethereal sight and a gentle reminder that the earth continues to revolve, night turns into day, days into weeks, weeks into months.  Time marches on.

Time *keeping* is a human construct.  We measure the hours of our days in tiny slices, at times finding that every minute feels like forever, while whole days flash by before we can blink.

But the truth is...the seasons move at their measured pace and our frustration with 'progress' or lack of 'progress' is very much a human emotion.

One that I try very hard to not let rule my happiness.

The other day I posted a video to Facebook of me at the loom.  I was having a fairly good day and was enjoying the rhythm of the act of weaving.  It was very much a working meditation, peaceful and productive.

There are times when things go more smoothly than others, and I try to really sink into the process when it's going well.  I can set aside most of my cares and woes and just be present in the moment.

This morning, with the moon hanging overhead, softened by the autumn mist, I had another moment of peace and contentment.

The world may be heading for hell in a hand basket, but I have to remember that it is only the human world.  When we are gone, the earth will still be revolving.  The days will pass, sun rise, sun set, and the seasons will continue, with or without us.

Sometimes it is good to remember how tiny I am.  And remember that my purpose in life is to live the best life I can.

1 comment:

Peg Cherre said...

Love this post. Thank you for the reminder-especially that last sentence. We all need to live the best life we can.